Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC suggestions

User

Default EDC suggestions

I'm sure all the Spyderco fans are going to come charging out of the woodwork here, but I'll take a chance ;)

I have decided that my EDC knife needs to move to the bench this Christmas, and will need to be replaced.

I'm looking for suggestions for a utilitarian EDC knife.
    I typically use it for opening packaging of various sorts, cable ties and Braai packs, and eat with it occasionally.
    I'm partial to S30V for the blade, I would like something small enough to go in a jeans pant pocket, but big enough to inflict decent damage (blade about 8cm give or take).

It should have a good grip for bloodied hands to hold and a good opening action.

Thanks in advance.

User

Default Re: EDC suggestions

Spyderco Paramilitary 2

I prefer a plain/smooth edge, but for cutting cable ties a semi serrated edge does help a lot. A serrated edge I have found to cut cable ties easier than my straight edge blades. Even if they are shaving sharp.

Then you still have the smooth/plain edge on the front half for cutting plastics and eating etc..

If you get a PM2, you won't quickly buy anything below it. But do note it has a thing blade, and although strong it is not meant for prying. so a cutter/slicer that sits very nicely etc? PM2. I have sold off most of my knives and kept the PM2 and is the only EDC knife that I have atm.
    Last edited by ravingDIODE; 19-11-2014 at 14:06.

User

Yep you called it :)
    Spyderco native.
    Cheapest S30V you will get and it's a lovely knife

User

Quote Originally Posted by SaVaGe X View Post
    Yep you called it :)
    Spyderco native.
    Cheapest S30V you will get and it's a lovely knife
    Native is a great knife. Had one too, but the blade is just too short for slicing but great for utility work etc. I had it in semi serrated..

User

Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Native is a great knife. Had one too, but the blade is just too short for slicing but great for utility work etc. I had it in semi serrated..
    I like plan edge knives but prefer serrated.
    They require less maintenance than a plain edge and they do wicked damage especially through clothing.
    That being said my go to knife is my Spyderco tenacious serrated.
    Why? I like the size of the hole (it opens much easier than my native) and I like the feel of it.
    A budget spydie? maybe, but it preforms just as well as my top end ones.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2

I prefer a plain/smooth edge, but for cutting cable ties a semi serrated edge does help a lot. A serrated edge I have found to cut cable ties easier than my straight edge blades. Even if they are shaving sharp.

Then you still have the smooth/plain edge on the front half for cutting plastics and eating etc..

If you get a PM2, you won't quickly buy anything below it. But do note it has a thing blade, and although strong it is not meant for prying. so a cutter/slicer that sits very nicely etc? PM2. I have sold off most of my knives and kept the PM2 and is the only EDC knife that I have atm.
    1+ for Spyderco PM2. Chris Reeves small sebenza is also a stunning knife. He has however changed from S30V to S35V. The only problem is that even though Sebenza means work. Your are too scared to use it as a work knife. Its too valuable to damage or loose.

User

What is your budget for a knife?

User

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    1+ for Spyderco PM2. Chris Reeves small sebenza is also a stunning knife. He has however changed from S30V to S35V. The only problem is that even though Sebenza means work. Your are too scared to use it as a work knife. Its too valuable to damage or loose.
    That is true!

But if I had to sell all my knives to buy a Sebenza 21, I would definitely be using it as I would not have anything else to use then. Only problem is I missed that buss selling my knives over the last two years to be able to shoot.

User

I've owned 2 Natives (what is this, 1700?) and the first knife I bought my wife was a Native. Good useful blade, very wide. IIRC one was a semi serrated the other two have been plain. I would not include the Native as a very grippy grip though. It is fairly smooth. Interestingly my Native is 440V but my wife's is S30V.

For the money I'd go with with a CRKT. Good quality, good grippy grip (I've had both the Zytle and G10 grips, both are good) the blade of the M21-02G is a little bit longer than the Native and it is almost as wide. Easy open, not as easy to close (auto locker).

User

Cant go wrong with a CRKT.
    Still own a few and love them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast