Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Field test: Howa 1500 6.5x55. (Part 1.)

With hot loads and a 120gr Sierra Pro-Hunter in my 6.5mm my grandson got meat damage.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Quote Originally Posted by QuQ View Post
    Hi TStone. Not to derail the thread, but would you personally use a break-in procedure on a rifle if that specific manufacturer does not call for it i.e. Sako?
    One actually does not shoot in the barrel but more the throat, this is to get rid of the sharp machining marks cause by the reamer used for cutting the chamber. Sako forges their barrels, if they forge the chamber at the same time is would not require shooting in as the mandrill used to form already has smooth edges.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by dritz View Post
    what I really like about it, is that you get very little meat damage.
    This is much more dependent on shot placement and bullet construction than caliber. Shoot a springbok on the shoulder with a 95 gr V-max and you are going to lose both shoulders. I know, 'cause I did.

Repeat this, several times: There is no magic caliber.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    One actually does not shoot in the barrel but more the throat, this is to get rid of the sharp machining marks cause by the reamer used for cutting the chamber. Sako forges their barrels, if they forge the chamber at the same time is would not require shooting in as the mandrill used to form already has smooth edges.
    Cool, I learnt something new.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

TStone. I am reviving a seriously old thread and maybe miss the details I am asking now. This 6.5x55 Howa rifle… still using it and still working after the thousands of shots that it must have digested by now.

Input from yourself and Messor previously had me buying one for my daughter and she is now asking if Uncle Stones 6,5 are still working? We read together on Gunsite at times and she is now getting seriously frustrated with CFR and are keeping me busy with “sweet nothings about 6.5 rifles” while waiting. She is 12 and love shooting and especially reloading.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    TStone. I am reviving a seriously old thread and maybe miss the details I am asking now. This 6.5x55 Howa rifle… still using it and still working after the thousands of shots that it must have digested by now.

Input from yourself and Messor previously had me buying one for my daughter and she is now asking if Uncle Stones 6,5 are still working? We read together on Gunsite at times and she is now getting seriously frustrated with CFR and are keeping me busy with “sweet nothings about 6.5 rifles” while waiting. She is 12 and love shooting and especially reloading.
    Adoons, the 6.5x55 was re-barreled to 9.3x62 a few years ago. At the time of the caliber change it had fired close to 4 000 shots and had accounted for 1200+ head of game. It was still shooting decent groups at that stage but as I was also using a 6.5 Creedmoor and performance of the two cartridges on game was identical I decided to go to a heavier caliber. I thought that re-barreling was a good way to achieve this. I was wrong. Buying a new rifle would have been easier, cheaper and much less frustrating. I do miss the light, compact and easy to handle 6.5x55 Howa.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I know she will not shoot more than 4000 rounds until the time her hobby will be funded by herself. The rifle will outlast her teen years and way beyond that, so she has a decent rifle coming to be used for many years to come. At this stage she is still content with .22 shooting. But I keep the 10/22 out if her hands to save some ammo for another day. A bolt action Brno are about 50% more economic when shots divided by time spent on the range are calculated (and only 1x 5 shot magazine used)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3