User

Default Tripod or bipod?

I'm thinking of getting either a bipod or tipod with long ejectable legs for bushveld hunting (walk and stalk), as I lack the confidence to shoot without a rest. I would imagine the tripod is more stable, but I have visions of it getting tangled in the bush, or not finding flat enough ground to rest three leggs on, or at least that is what I find with a camera tripod. Does anyone have any advice/ experience as to what is better to get.

User

Default Re: Tripod or bipod?

So i assume you will be taking standing shots?

Someone else can offer advice if one that.

However, if the shots are kneeling, sitting, i would suggest a bipod that fits onto your rifle. Less things to worry about and always there.

Banned

Shooting sticks, carried separately and used as needed. It takes a bit of practice to get used to.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    as I lack the confidence to shoot without a rest
    ATG , you must remember that in you concern also lies the answer to your question.

We do not go hunting without proper training and practice, thus range time is a must before hunting. I would think that at your nearest range there must be some people who owns shooting sticks,tripods or these new trigger sticks. You will need to practice with them in any case and will quickly learn which suits your shooting stance best.

I would recommend the tripod as it provides a more stable base than the bipod. If you use the "Trigger Stick" models where the legs release from the bottom then on uneven ground it is relatively easy to make them balance. Whether you hold two sticks / legs in your hand or three is really immaterial and just because there is an extra leg does not mean it will get tangled.

You do however need to follow the above advice and practice with them on the range. I know very few people that can consistently accurately hit a target at 300 meters off shooting sticks. You will therefore have to find your distance and "stick" to it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by boesman10 View Post
    I know very few people that can consistently accurately hit a target at 300 meters off shooting sticks. You will therefore have to find your distance and "stick" to it.
    Standing, I agree with you. From a sitting position using a tripod (shooting sticks) and supporting your rifle against two legs,300 - 350 meter shots are do-able. Provided, of course, that you practice this way, at these distances.

User

If you go tripod, don't stress about then getting tangled, set them up beforehand to a nice standing shooting position and get the guide to carry them just like that! But as everyone as mentioned practice your shooting positions but if your hunting in the bush there are alot of objects that make good rests!

User

Thanks guys. I have a bipod, the short one attached to the rifle for shooting prone that I use for "voorsit" when I hunt springbok. That thing is a winner.

When we do some walking through the bush for impala and deer, thats when I come unstuck. I can never find a standing support when I need one. Anything too low to the ground, and there is too much bush in the way.Where I hunt you often have to carry your own support, so an open tripod dragged through the bush aint gonna work.

I agree on the practice thing. I still need to work on establishing my limitations as to what I can achieve "off the shoulder". I'm too paranoid about loosing an animal in thick bush, so land up not taking any shots at all.

User

I have a short bi-pod on my rifle which works great when hunting and I need to lie down and shoot, but I always carry my Primos Trigger Stick Gen 2 tri pod with me when I can not lei down and shoot. I have shot plenty of animals this year from the tri pod.

The one big advantage of a bi-pod is that you can always safely put your rifle on the ground if required and you know it is not going to lie in the dust.

The nice thing about the Primos Gen 2 is that it is easy and quick to adjust and you can use it from the standing or sitting position.

It takes some time to get use to a tri-pod and it is not always as stable as a bi-pod.

If you are going to stand or sit and shoot then maybe a Primos Gen2 could be a better option than a bi-pod

Yes, my combo do cost quite a bit but it works great for me.

My advice would be, if possible, 1st give both a test run and see what would work the best for you.