Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Three matrics stabbed to death at party

GFSA ....oops KFSA ( Knife free South Afrika )

Sad though, RIP for the students

User

But "gasp" what about the dangerous weapons act. Surely that should have prevented this tragedy from happening?

User

The point is that guns are scary because people think they make killing easier. All you apparently have to do is point the thing at somebody and squeeze the trigger, and KABLAMO! Insta-kill with no mess and fuss, unlike the horrible experience of stabbing somebody to death. I suppose people rationalise it by thinking that if you have the stones to hack or stab somebody to death, you must be a real sicko. Since knife kills are so up-close-and-personal, unlike guns right?

Thus they think that any normal person can just "lose it" and use a gun to kill somebody, but that the same person does not possess the required capacity for violence to do so with a knife. Therefore guns are scary shid.

We will need to do a lot of educating and PR to change that perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    The point is that guns are scary because people think they make killing easier. All you apparently have to do is point the thing at somebody and squeeze the trigger, and KABLAMO! Insta-kill with no mess and fuss, unlike the horrible experience of stabbing somebody to death. I suppose people rationalise it by thinking that if you have the stones to hack or stab somebody to death, you must be a real sicko. Since knife kills are so up-close-and-personal, unlike guns right? Thus they think that any normal person can just "lose it" and use a gun to kill somebody, but that the same person does not possess the required capacity for violence to do so with a knife. Therefore guns are scary shid. We will need to do a lot of educating and PR to change that perception.
    I've come to the conclusion its all about familiarity with the thing. Knives are in every home. We grow up around them and handle them every day. Cars are used every day, we grow up around them and use them constantly. Bricks hold our houses up and cricket bats hit balls in the park. Guns though, are not often a part of very day life for many. They are foreign objects which are seen only on TV. People (generally) very rarely, if ever, handle a firearm let alone grow up around them in the house. Because people are unfamiliar it is easier to attribute superstition to them. Its no different to old folk being scared of a black cat. GFSA tries incredibly hard to remove guns from the everyday, from the toy stores to teaching kids at school not to make guns with plasticine or play "cops and robbers". The efforts of GFSA are at the most dangerous psychological level - playschool and up. That's why when these kids killed each other, the motives and other things like drugs and alcohol are important - because the readers understand that knives are just everyday objects. How does the old saying go? What we don't know, we don't trust. What we don't trust, we hate. What we hate, we fight.

User

Seems there's a lot more to this story. Turns out another 18 kids were stabbed.

http://m.iol.co.za/article/view/s/11/a/675807

Durban - Eighteen more school children were stabbed at a Richards Bay post-matric beach party where three pupils were knifed to death, and one is fighting for his life.

Hundreds of pupils from the greater Richards Bay area had descended on the Alkantstrand Beach for an unofficial end-of-exams Pens Down Festival at the remote beach, which had no security or police on watch as revellers partied late into the night.

The disclosure of far more bloodshed emerged on Monday when the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Education’s head of department, Dr Nkosinathi Sishi, visited the families of the slain pupils – Thobani Mkhize, Philani Gumede and Bongumusa Mathenjwa, who were stabbed when a group of thugs confronted the unarmed boys.

The dead victims attended different schools in the greater Richards Bay area and did not know each other.

“We need to find out who planned this event and find out what plans were in place for the security of our children,” Sishi said.

“We do not have words to explain how saddened we are by what happened. I do not even want to speak about what happened, because we have 18 other children that were stabbed and hospitalised.

“There are other families that are in pain as well because their children are in hospital and they are hurt,” said Sishi as he addressed Mkhize’s family.

He said a single death among the province’s 2.8 million pupils was one too many. The three dead youngsters had been robbed of their lives, and the country had been denied the fruits of their labour.

Sishi told the Daily News at least one pupil was in a critical condition at the Ngwelezane Hospital.

“What we know now is that a group of criminals was stabbing boys indiscriminately. These boys died because of criminals, their cellphones were stolen. But we are relying on the police to conduct their investigation,” he said.

Sishi said the pupils who had witnessed the incidents needed to be counselled for their trauma.

Gumede’s grandmother, Khunjuziwe Ntuli, said he had just turned 18 on Sunday last week. She said he was stabbed with one lunge, with just a single wound near his heart. He died en route to hospital.

“I don’t know what to say. this boy has lived with me since he was in diapers and even now till his matric year he was living with me here,” said the sobbing grandmother.

“I have been struggling to sleep because of the pain I feel. I even wish to kill myself, because this is the person that I had my hopes on in returning the pride of this family after his father died three years ago,” she said.

Ntuli said she had not given her grandson money to go to the beach party because she did not have any. He had left in a bakkie with three friends from the neighbourhood.

Asked what the friends told the family about the incident, she said they had been told by the boys that it could have been a case of mistaken identity.

“When we asked the boys what happened, they told us that a group of boys came up to them and said to Philani that he had teased them before,” said the grandmother.

“But none of them know these boys.

“He was telling them that he had never teased them because he had never seen them before and then they just stabbed him in the heart,” she said.

None of Philani’s three friends was hurt in the brawl and the family said one of the pupil’s two phones had been stolen and possibly sold already, as an unknown person had been chatting on his Whatsapp on Saturday.

sihle.mlambo@inl.co.za

User

Aaaaaaand nobody cares. Our national levels of Could-Not-Give-A-Fuckery are astoundingly high.

User

Aaaaaaand nobody cares. Our national levels of Could-Not-Give-A-Fuckery are astoundingly high.
    Pretty much sums it up...

User

I agree with Manservant. Last week a woman was killed near Pretoria when a rock was thrown onto her car from a bridge near Soshanguve township. That to me is very sad and reason for great anger. What should be banned? Rocks, highways, bridges, cars, women, townships? That would be the easy way out. This nation needs to look at its own cruel heart long and deep, because that is the root of the problem, not the instruments used. When Cain killed his brother Abel God went to Cain's heart, He didn't ban rocks or clubs or whatever. "Where is your brother, Cain?"

User

The point is that guns are scary because people think they make killing easier. All you apparently have to do is point the thing at somebody and squeeze the trigger, and KABLAMO! Insta-kill with no mess and fuss, unlike the horrible experience of stabbing somebody to death. I suppose people rationalise it by thinking that if you have the stones to hack or stab somebody to death, you must be a real sicko. Since knife kills are so up-close-and-personal, unlike guns right?

Thus they think that any normal person can just "lose it" and use a gun to kill somebody, but that the same person does not possess the required capacity for violence to do so with a knife. Therefore guns are scary shid.

We will need to do a lot of educating and PR to change that perception.
    You make a very good point MS.

User

23y old matriculant and we are robbed of the fruits of their hard labour...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2