Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Guns are not the problem everyone thinks they are...

Firearms Deaths full under "Assault"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quick_fact_2012_zpsfeebe949.jpg  
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH View Post

Firearms Deaths full under "Assault"
    Of which it makes up 1.7%. Using the overall murder rate (which probably correlates quite closely with the assault death rate), which usually hovers around 16000 or thereabouts, you can calculate that 1.7% of 16000 is less than 300 deaths per year.

1) 10% of 480476 = 48047.6
    2) Assault deaths made up of 5019 deaths = 10.44% of the 10%
    3) Firearm deaths are thus 1.7% of 5019 or 0.01789% of all deaths
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH View Post
    1) 10% of 480476 = 48047.6
    2) Assault deaths made up of 5019 deaths = 10.44% of the 10%
    3) Firearm deaths are thus 1.7% of 5019 or 0.01789% of all deaths
    Aha. As I said, the one missing variable in my calculation was the actual number of assault deaths. I assumed it was more or less equal to total murders. Thanks for giving the exact figure of 5019 assault deaths. From that, we can indeed come to a "death by firearm assault" figure of a mere 85 per year.

I will say that this figure strikes me as being a bit suspect. It is incredibly low. Surely there are more than 85 firearm murders a year? That said, if these are the official stats, that's what we can use in our arguments.

Most interesting bit of data for me is the ratio of sharp object deaths to shooting deaths. For every person shot to death, fifty (that's right, fifty) are stabbed to death. That should tell even the casual observer that we have a social problem as opposed to a gun problem.

One needs to remember too that the shootings would include lawful homicides by police, security companies and so forth whereas stabbings would almost certainly include none or very,* very few of the same.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

I suppose all sorts of obvious figures jump out at you when you read things like this, but I'll just highlight one: Unlawful shooting by licensed semi-automatic rifle in private hands is probably about (statistically) zero. Big fat nothing. And all the proposed difficulties involved in future licensing are a total waste of effort/money/time. It's already simply not a problem whatsoever. The EBL (evil black rifle) is just so scary that more must be done though apparently....

Government's concerns about SLRs has very little if anything, to do with its concerns about crime.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

I actually called it a 'political' thing before I edited my post, yeah, it's pretty obvious I suppose. Still dumb. But I suppose we know that....

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Most interesting bit of data for me is the ratio of sharp object deaths to shooting deaths. For every person shot to death, fifty (that's right, fifty) are stabbed to death. That should tell even the casual observer that we have a social problem as opposed to a gun problem.

One needs to remember too that the shootings would include lawful homicides by police, security companies and so forth whereas stabbings would almost certainly include none or very,* very few of the same.
    And that's beside the folk who are bludgeoned, strangled, etc to death, who also far exceed the numbers of those shot.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

WZ, will all these stats and figures be used in the attempts to alter the FCA by the various associations?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast