User

Default Muzzle break effect to impact point & groups?

I am fitting a muzzle-break to my Remington mod 700 ADL in 30-06cal.

Question is can/will the impact point and groupings of the optimised loads I have been using on this rifle change? Is it purely because of the additional weight up front on the barrel?

I know by now that adding/removing the Harris-bipod changes the vertical trajectory by about 2 inches. But it does not affect the groups - as it is fixed to the stock and not the barrel?

What has been the experience out there? Any views pls.

B3

As far as I am aware from articles I've read the POI can change when adding a muzzle break although its not a certainty.

Banned

If the point of impact does not change, you are simply lucky. If the brake is correctly manufactured and fitted, grouping will not be worse and may improve.

User

Hi B3, the issue is not often with the Muzzle Brake but with the cutting of the barrel itself to thread it. What can and often does happen is the harmonics of the barrel are affected when cut and that is what affects the accuracy and or point of impact.

Unless the barrel is already threaded in which case it would be a case of putting the muzzle brake on and enjoying the reduced recoil but possible increase in noise and dust :)

User

If the brake is properly fitted it may change POI but should not affect group size. You may shoot better groups due to the lower recoil though. If the POI does change then just re-sight the scope and carry on as before.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Like speed freak said, the harmonics of the barrel may and can differ after the application of the extra weight at the tip of the barrel. To fix it is simple, Just adjust the bullet seating depth COL so that the resionation of the bullet hitting the lands correspond to the new harmonics of the new weight of the barrel. Will group like a charm.

User

Default Re: Muzzle break effect to impact point & groups?

Apologies gents, I do not mean to hijack the thread, but....how does the adding of a bipod affect the vertical POI? Surely only adjusting the scope does this?

User

Default Re: Muzzle break effect to impact point & groups?

from the little i've read.... clamping it to the barrel could most likely alter your POI.
    attaching to a rail should have no effect?