User

Default need some help please

Like I said I need some help and advice with the following.

We live very close to the Swazi border and our vehicles get stolen on a regular basis. I'm not talking about the regular crime and theft but specifically about vehicle theft. This is a very difficult crime to deal with as these buggers come into your personal space (up to 6 of them) and watch you for up to a week before they finally lure your dogs out, kill them with poison and steal your vehicle. No joke seeing all or most of your dogs dead.

We as a community have been suffering with this for some time now and no matter how many patrols we do they just blend into the night. We have arrested 9 of them last year but sure enough they are back and the carnage continues.

My question is this, will a thermal imaging monocular really work to see these thieves around your house at night? Yes I know it depends on terrain and humidity and foliage etc but is thermal a tool that can successfully be uses in addition to what we have been doing all these years.

If yes then what would be recommended? We will need to use it for an extended period of time on patrol and also for those occasions when your dogs bark and "nothing" is there.

My budget would be R70k

Any help would be greatly appreciated

User

Default Re: need some help please

I cant help the thermal monacular but have you thought about Roboguards for perimeter defense? IIRC they were originally designed for farms.

I can only vouch for them in a surburban environment but they can be 400m away from the HQ and have quite a range.

User

We use Roboguard but the terrain limits them a bit, very hilly here and dogs trigger the beams when running up the hill. I have found that the unit inside the vehicle is best as then it will be triggered when tampered with.

I should have mentioned that this ''project" is not just for us but for use in our community when on patrol etc.

Banned

Our neighbours used old style military infra-green (don't know the correct name) sights during the late 90's to early 2000's and they worked well.

Hi Chap.

Get in touch with the guys that advertise in this subforum:
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/foru...Futurama-co-za

There is also some good info in the threads there.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I am in the process of buying a thermal camera for my drone.
    The company that supplies the cameras are world leading in these type of devices. you might want to check them out.
    http://www.flir.eu/home/
    Its a wealth of knowledge

Edit: Just found this link
    http://www.flir.eu/law-enforcement/display/?id=56853

User

Chap
    pm me. I am in the electronics r&d field.

User

Thermal works leagues better than night vision but you have to have a decent unit. They must hide behind solid cover to not be seen. Hiding behind a bush they light up like lanterns.

I have family living on a farm and they use this before even touching a torch. Once you know where they are you can jump into action with a good ambush and catch them.

Thermal is the way to go.