Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default .22 derimming die

I've been playing around with the idea of swaging my own .223 bullets for a while now, and I found plans for a nice swaging press the other day, so I thought that I would make the dies first as without them the press is a bit useless...

First up is the derimmig die that turns the .22lr case into a jacket.

Next up is the swaging press as I can feel that my little lee single stage isn't really built for this king of work...

User

Default Re: .22 derimming die

Pretty cool grim. Mind sharing where you got the plans from?

User

No prob :)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-a-Swage-press

There is a ton of info in the swaging section of castboolits...

Very nice ! I'll keep an eye on this thread.

I'm also building one of those presses, but seeing as I won't ever use the commercial dies I'll use a different attachment and adjustment method. I made my derimming die with a press fit hardened steel insert, kind of like the carbide ring in a carbide die. I mass anneal the cases before hand by filling a old (empty!) powder tin with cases and putting it in the lapa's fireplace for about 2 hours. After that it goes into the rotary tumbler before processing. I also made a core seating and point forming die but can't find those after my move, so tried to make another set the other day. Of course I was in a hurry and ended snapping the point of the point forming reamer in the die. Reamers' been re - ground but haven't had the motivation to make another die yet.. BTW for the 22 case project I use a old Lee Challenger, but made steel links with different dowel pin positions to increase the leverage.
    Funnily enough I spent most of today machining .452 forming dies (ended up making 2, one SWC and one TC), it gets 'interesting' when you get to the final cut using a single point cutter after something like 4 hours machining per die (using a reamer would have been a couple of minutes, but making the reamer would be a solid day's work). The first I made tested out at .451, I honestly don't know what happened but I recut it a furthur 0.02mm (not even a full 'thou) and ended up with .453. Wasn't very happy with that. Still need to machine base and nose punches for those. Maybe I must learn to post pics, I suspect this might be a interesting project.
    BTW @ Grim after I cut the .223 point forming die and verified the sizes you are welcome to use the reamer if you want.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    I'm also building one of those presses, but seeing as I won't ever use the commercial dies I'll use a different attachment and adjustment method. I made my derimming die with a press fit hardened steel insert, kind of like the carbide ring in a carbide die. I mass anneal the cases before hand by filling a old (empty!) powder tin with cases and putting it in the lapa's fireplace for about 2 hours. After that it goes into the rotary tumbler before processing. I also made a core seating and point forming die but can't find those after my move, so tried to make another set the other day. Of course I was in a hurry and ended snapping the point of the point forming reamer in the die. Reamers' been re - ground but haven't had the motivation to make another die yet.. BTW for the 22 case project I use a old Lee Challenger, but made steel links with different dowel pin positions to increase the leverage.
    Funnily enough I spent most of today machining .452 forming dies (ended up making 2, one SWC and one TC), it gets 'interesting' when you get to the final cut using a single point cutter after something like 4 hours machining per die (using a reamer would have been a couple of minutes, but making the reamer would be a solid day's work). The first I made tested out at .451, I honestly don't know what happened but I recut it a furthur 0.02mm (not even a full 'thou) and ended up with .453. Wasn't very happy with that. Still need to machine base and nose punches for those. Maybe I must learn to post pics, I suspect this might be a interesting project.
    BTW @ Grim after I cut the .223 point forming die and verified the sizes you are welcome to use the reamer if you want.
    Very interesting... Just one thing: Carefull with that Challenger press, the frame is easily cracked.

Yes A-R, it's definately not a heavy duty press, but I've used it in this way for close on 8 years. It's my 'dirty girl' that I don't mind experimenting on if I don't want to risk any of my other presses.

User

I also have the lee challenger - tried 2 or 3 cases in it and could feel it taking strain, so did the other test cases in my hydraulic press. no strain on that one :)

Chops:

It would be really good to see some of your stuff - I'm basically just starting out & eyeballing stuff as I go along. Do you make a D reamer for your point forming die, and do you need to polish / lap the inside of the die?

Grim my first reamer was a multiflute made from pre hardened HSS, when the point snapped off I re-ground the remainder to a D reamer. I got away without having to lap the die, my first die (which the elves stole) came out with good surface finish and on size.
    I can't see from the pics, but are you lubing the cases? If yes what lube, as this makes a huge difference in the force required.

User

Watching with interest

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast