User

Default Apply for SAPS 540 or not?

Sorry to rehash this topic, but I see it has not been discussed this month

I have decided to reload my ammo so I can shoot more, not save money. I've purchased the equipment, blanks and bullets etc.. I will ONLY have a Section 13 license and a Glock 19 by the time I'm reloading. I am only concerned with reloading 9mm caliber and not looking to get another firearm.

Now I've just realized I am going to have an issue transporting more than 200 rounds to the shooting range especially if there is a road block or get pulled over with over 600 rounds in the car. After reading up the legal way is the SAPS 540 route. I came across a few topic mentioning the SAPS 540 which will allow for more than 200 rounds.

1. I have read on GS that the SAPS 540 can take 6-9 months, if it even gets approved at all...Is this the recommended route?
    2. Would me applying for DSS be a mockery of the sport considering I would only be going for it to possess more than 200 rounds?
    3. If 2 is false, how long does it take to get a DSS?

Thanks.

User

Default Re: Apply for SAPS 540 or not?

DSS will take a couple of weeks to months depending on who you do it with. My fist DSS was with the National Shooting Association. I had my papers in about 6 to 8 weeks if I recall. The others took a bit more time. If you're planning on enjoying your own regular shoots as opposed to shooting with other club members perhaps consider the NSA as you'll then also be able to take part in the postal and national competitions to maintain your DSS status. Otherwise, I am sure there are loads of other suggestions as to sport shooting clubs you can join for DSS. Considering the amount of rounds you plan on shooting every month I imagine no one will judge you too harshly :-P

As for the SAPS 540 route, I cannot comment.

User

Thanks that's a lot shorter than the 6 months for a SAPS 540. I was hesitant to go for DSS because I was under the impression DSS was mainly for people who shoot at a variety of different clubs, compete and socialize....If it's about the amount you shoot then I would definitely consider myself dedicated, I just like to shoot on my own or with a buddy. I'll got the DSS route then, cheers!

User

Also can I use my same Section 13 Glock 19 to obtain DSS? Applied for NSA but they only open on the 12th Jan.
    Does anyone know what is included with the study material when enrolling for dedicated sports person, are the postal shoots included?

Thanks!

User

On the cd is study material and then you do the exam online. If you read through the work you will pass. On the website you will get the targets. Remember to submit the affidavit with the target. Everything is scanned and mailed to them but keep,the targets in a folder in case they are required.

If one has DDH status could this be used instead of DDS to hold more than 200 9mm rounds?

User

Thanks Castos!