Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Black powder hunter knowledgeable person regarding indigenous trees and their uses

Good day

Is there a member, black powder hunter who is knowledgeable regarding indigenous trees and their uses, bark, leaves wood ect. in a survival environment..living off the land in the Limpopo/Warmbad area...? I would like to hear from you.

godendaal@hotmail.com

Regards

Gert

Banned

Default Re: Black powder hunter knowledgeable person regarding indigenous trees and their us

Here is what I can offer from memory - please help with english and/or botanical names and correct me where I'm completely off track:

Tamboti is trouble but I guess that is common knowledge;
    karee leaves to make tea and the seeds are edible;
    inner bark of the soetdoring (sweetthorn?) for semi-usable rope; burnt roots of the witgatwortel taste like chicory;
    mopani leaves for some form of stomach ailment;
    aloe leave juice for shampoo;
    lekkerbreek for the bottom piece of wood when making fire, together with a harder wooden stick; rosyntjiebos for a bow;
    black wattle bark to prepare animal skins.

User

Default Re: Black powder hunter knowledgeable person regarding indigenous trees and their us

I can heartily recommend the following books;
    People's Plants by Ben-Erik van Wyk and Nigel Gericke
    Medicinal Plants of South Africa by the above authors and Bosch van Oudtshoorn.
    Food from the Veld by F.W Fox and M.E.Norwood Young (Out of print but well worth trying to track down a copy.)
    The Wild Wisdom of Weeds by Karina Blair This has just been published.Available online from Loot.

User

Hallo Rick

Thank you for the reply, are you a black powder rifle hunter as well? I need to communicate with a black powder rifle hunter who is well versed in the practical know how of trees with medicinal properties and how to harvest them. Furthermore this person needs to know how to disassemble bark to re-work into rope... living off the veld is an important skill he needs to posses.

Regards

Gert

User

I am now curious why does this person need to be a black powder hunter? I can offer a lot of info but do not hint with black powder

User

Hi Gert,
    I am sorry but I am not involved in the black powder side of hunting but I have been involved with wilderness survival techniques since the 70's.After getting involved with Jeff Cooper and defensive hand gunning I realised that the firearms side was only one aspect of staying alive when SHTF.One of the reasons I gave up on IPSC after being the Chief RO for the '81 World Shoot was the realisation that the game had left the road that Jeff envisaged and was nothing other than an equipment race where in Jeff's words"" a man will do more to win a Silver Cup than to learn the skills required to defend his life." If you want to contact me outside of the forum you can reach me on "kingcheetah@telkomsa.net"
    Kindest regards,
    Rick

User

Rick

E-mail send....

Gert

User

I forgot to mentioned it will be an advantage if a person is living in Limpopo...I really would appreciate it if a person like Rick is involve with survival/knowledge of fauna/flora / shooting black powder rifles , tracking /bush skills / historical inclined , knowledge of how hunters lived/ hunt in the 1800 era as well want to contact me.

Regards

Gert

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    I am now curious why does this person need to be a black powder hunter? I can offer a lot of info but do not hint with black powder
    Hallo Gertjie87
    We are planning a reenactment of a 1800 era hunt it will be a hunt with black powder rifles only. I am trying to get a historical perspective on the hunt and living ways of the people living in those times.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Hallo Gertjie87
    We are planning a reenactment of a 1800 era hunt it will be a hunt with black powder rifles only. I am trying to get a historical perspective on the hunt and living ways of the people living in those times.
    Aha sounds interresting. Why not try get in contact with the man magnum black powder writer think his name was robin barkes or something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast