Thread: Digital safes

User

Default Digital safes

I have this tendency to carry my car keys in my hands when quickly going into shops etc. Sometimes I get the feeling that the wrong person might notice that I have a key for a safe on that keychain. Then you might be followed etc...
    So I really want to get a 3-rifle digital safe. But as per another thread here, it is said digital safes are very easy to open, more so than normal safes. Is this true for all brands, or are some tamper proof? I do know any safe can be opened, but I would like a digital safe that is just as difficult to open than my standard generic 3-rifle safe.
    What should I expect to pay for the right one?

Default Re: Digital safes

Have a locksmith make you a shorter key.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

That is not a bad suggestion SSP, and much cheaper

User

The problem safes were the smaller "cheap" handgun types that used a solenoid to block the locking mechanism mostly sold by Massmart.

Massmart has pulled all safes (electronic and mechanical safes) for re-evaluation and re-testing.

As far as I could see all the bigger rifle type electronic safes automatically engage and retract the locking bolts via actuators so will not be susceptible to the same problem and all I've seen on websites look like solid designs.

Since it is still a niche market they come at a huge cost, thumb-suck it looks like 3 to 4 times the price of the same type and size mechanical safe.

My solution is to keep my car and house and safe keys separate. Remove any legality issues if my wife takes my car and security issues if I take my car for service, repairs, new tyres or wheel alignment and balancing. Always surprised how many people will hand over their keys to their castle to min wage workers and later on give their address for the invoice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    My solution is to keep my car and house and safe keys separate. Remove any legality issues if my wife takes my car and security issues if I take my car for service, repairs, new tyres or wheel alignment and balancing. Always surprised how many people will hand over their keys to their castle to min wage workers and later on give their address for the invoice.
    I agree. I myself take off my car keys and just give them what they need. They don't need any other keys so why give it to them.