Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why multiple shots per target?

Just a question out of curiosity.

Why do we always have to shoot a minimum of 2 shots per target?

User

Default Re: Why multiple shots per target?

Because one probably isnt enough. Multiple shots are generally going to be needed to stop a determined attacker which is why I enjoy the IDPA stages that require three or six shots on a target. I suppose it is to build the habit of not firing one shot and assuming the problem is solved.

Thanks BigT but why is one shot not enough?
    I gues I'm asking why I have to take multiple shots with my 'death ray' Glock pistol.

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. As BigT rightfully said, one round will most probably not cause enough blood loss to incapacitate the threat quick enough.

Also, I believe in a real threat situation, you'll most probably not shoot as accurate as in an IDPA match (depending on the situation/pressure). Thus, some follow up shots is required to ensure incapacitation of the douchebagger.

User

Because handguns have limited ability to incapacitate. Sometimes multiple rifle rounds are needed to stop a determined attacker. Pistols cause far less damage. Without dramatic CNS damage we need a serious loss of BP the more shots the more potential BP loss.

Simply put, two is better than one, three is better than two, etc. From a sporting perspective, it gives the shooter the opportunity to correct any dropped shots. This means that the target is not neutralised until good accuracy is achieved. In addition, in reality, it will more than likely require multiple holes to stop a human being, especially using a handgun. There would be too many variables to predict how many shots it would take to put an attacker down ie. where was he hit, is he on drugs, is he superfit, etc? There are BTDT people on the forum who would more than likely vouch for this. Here is an excerpt from an FBI report on an officer involved shooting:

"Subject received approximately sixteen .223 rounds, thirteen of these rounds went completely through. One round struck his hip and completely shattered it. Another .223 round struck his aorta and another pierced and collapsed his lung. Both of these rounds lodged themselves inside the subject. The Medical Examiner stated that the .223 rounds caused massive internal damage....Officers had to “fight” assailant in order to get him handcuffed"

I'm sure there are many more stories such as this one. In his book "House to House", David Bellavia describes in detail how may times some insurgents were hit and continued to effectively fight back.

Source: http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...=001580#000000

PS - I wouldn't mind some feedback from abhm and ikor regarding this subject.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

Mozambique Drill - Two to the body one to the head !!

It is not worth taking the chance of one shot only so why not practice 2 shots as matter of default? except where there is a sequence setup and you should make sure each gets a hit quickly and then the second.

For those not familiar:
    Tactical Sequence: A method of target engagement. For Tactical
    Sequence, all targets are engaged with one round each before being
    engaged again. In the case of three (3) targets requiring two (2)
    rounds each, all targets would be engaged with one round to each
    target BEFORE reengaging the targets with another round in any
    order (1-1-2-1-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Preacher
    Just a question out of curiosity.

Why do we always have to shoot a minimum of 2 shots per target?
    From an IDPA perspective: because thats the game.

From a real world perspective: Because anything handheld is not a reliable fight stopper. This includes rifles and shotguns.

Even a shot to the head may not penetrate the brain box and cause sufficient damage to result in incapacitation.

Shoot them to the ground. (obviously as long as they are a threat :P)
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I would say that in the sporting disciplines we try to emulate the reality of the limitations of stopping power of handguns that are generally used in a SD situation. If you look at the different ratings that are given to different ammunition regarding One Shot Stop capability (and yes there we can debate the validity of them), you will also see that none gives a 100% rating in any case. Remember also that when sports like IPSC started, the big name was the 45ACP in ball configuration and go and have a look at the rating of this round. Thus two shots from this would then be considered necessary to eliminate a threat.

I basically also agree with just about everything posted already.

Must. Control. Urge. To. Go. On. Anti. Marshall. And. Sanow. Rant.

Urge.Barely.Controlled.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast