Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: W.W.Greener Empire model 12 ga

Erhard Bienedell of Thor Engineering did, I don't know if you will get any tips or info on such a build.

As I see it you will have to test the regulation before the final build/soldering.

User

Good day Corrie
    I did some research on conversion builds and contacted gunsmiths who completed a few of these builds themselves, one person , Ron Vella is a Canadian shop owner and he did do the conversion builds in his part time capacity. He already completed seven builds and used the double rifles he build to hunt plains game in South Africa and buffalo in Zimbabwe...he developed methods/procedures to secure the barrels /weld /thread the barrels that is extremely strong secured. He shot hundreds of full nitro loads through the barrels already the past seven or eight years.

Naturally , he proofed every completed rifle with about 30% above the maximum reloading loads. As mentioned before I ordered a book on this subject from Ellis Brown " Double rifles build on shotgun actions" who is a expert on this subject...Merkel/Simson shotgun actions are extremely strong and harden to use as conversion builds so are a lot of other brands with build in safety features...

This type of built as mentioned previously is extremely technical and mechanical inclined. There are a lot of aspects to be taken in account to do a successful built, but it can be done...it has been done and it seems to be the next hype on the rifle forums abroad.

A thread for the members who wants to know more about this subject.
    http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showf...e=1#Post243699
    http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showf...0&fpart=1&vc=1

This will give some insight regarding the technical and mechanical procedures of such a conversion build.

User

Gert, .... was on the way back from seeing a client in Ermelo this afternoon, thought it would be remiss of me not to stop at Classic Arms to see what they had on the shelves ... even though I hadn't shot the Greener for a while, I was starting to miss it being in the safe, so it was natural to ask to see their stock of side by sides ...
    a few were put on the table, one immediately caught my eye, a vintage Army and Navy 12 ga in fantastic condition, beautiful wood, subtly engraved receiver, straight English stock, 30" barrels, double triggers, a classic English double game gun, came so easily to my shoulder, fit me almost like a glove as I looked down the barrels .. I really liked the gun, then I liked it even more, then I loved it ... what could I do? .. I'll post a pic when I get the licence ....

Sounds wonderful!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 525 View Post
    ... it was natural to ask to see their stock of side by sides ... a few were put on the table, one immediately caught my eye, ... a classic English double game gun, ... what could I do? .. I'll post a pic when I get the licence ....
    Sounds like a boy who just got his first kiss. Lucky guy!

User

Congratulations on the new shotgun, enjoy it , I really look forward to use my Greener for bird shooting.
    Ds. J we are all boys still ,only the toys are getting more expensive...

User

Ds. J
    Please send me an e-mail to godendaal@hotmail.com I need to get in contact with you regarding the 1800 Black=powder hunt...

User

Update:
    Members, was attending a pre-practice night shoot of the Sebra branch ( SA Hunters) the club want to conduct a night shoot , in pistol target shooting, jackal shoot with .22 and shot gun /clay shooting.

Naturally we had to set up the shooting ranges and shoot to see if it will work..it worked great especially the shot gun/clay shoot...I used the 12 ga W.W.Greener Empire model and it was unbelievable how accurate it shot..

I really decimated the clays and so did other members who use it as well...this shotgun, being sixty six years old is still competition for the new age shot guns...the bonus , the members who shoot with it was in love with it at first glance...

User

Update on an old thread:
    Members, this coming July will find me using the old W.W Greener sxs 12GA to walk the Kalahari grassland dunes and shoot francolins as well as the known sand grouse Kelkie -wyn bird ..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3