Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User

Default Re: STICKEY: Equipment suggestions for New IDPA Shooters

Are the Uvex units rated for ballistic impact?

I'd suggest looking at something like the Revision Sawfly with an optical insert for prescription lenses (or similar). It is purpose built for the task but cheaper than Rudy Project. Available from Rescomp. And yes, I own and use a pair. Saved me from injury once although, admittedly, it was on a hockey field.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    Are the Uvex units rated for ballistic impact?

I'd suggest looking at something like the Revision Sawfly with an optical insert for prescription lenses (or similar). It is purpose built for the task but cheaper than Rudy Project. Available from Rescomp. And yes, I own and use a pair. Saved me from injury once although, admittedly, it was on a hockey field.
    Have emailed Rescomp about prescription protection, thanks! I can't see whether uvex has any sort of ballistic impact rating. I was also looking into Tac Optical, they have a few rated for ballistic, but no word on prescription.

User

There's only two slight issues with the Sawfly:

1) you have two layers that can fog up. Honestly, this hasn't been an issue while shooting but hockey matches on humid nights are a different matter. Played the second half of a match without them on about 2 weeks back. Maybe that's why I let the one goal in...

2) The arms going over your ears are a tad thick. With good ear pro (like my Peltor Sportacs) you still get a good seal but after a couple of hours on the range it starts getting irritating. Solution is to remove the earmuffs between stages or at stage briefing to just have your noggin take a breather.

As for protection rating, you're welcome to read reviews on the Web. I'm not in a position where in the unlikely event of something happening I'll wish I had something better.

User

1) you have two layers that can fog up. Honestly, this hasn't been an issue while shooting but hockey matches on humid nights are a different matter. Played the second half of a match without them on about 2 weeks back. Maybe that's why I let the one goal in...
    For years I wore prescription glasses with magnetic "clipons" for sunglasses, and experienced the same on the bike quite a bit (under a hot helmet on a hot day) so was wondering about that. The alternative of wearing contacts is out for me, and my current prescriptions are definitely nowhere near safety, so I'm quite happy to go for the Revision.

2) The arms going over your ears are a tad thick. With good ear pro (like my Peltor Sportacs) you still get a good seal but after a couple of hours on the range it starts getting irritating. Solution is to remove the earmuffs between stages or at stage briefing to just have your noggin take a breather.
    This has been my next concern, on ranges so far I've had a helluva time where the arms of my glasses under the earmuffs start hurting me to the point where I start getting a massive headache. I'm hoping that this is more along the lines that the earmuffs provided at the ranges for general use are not quite along the lines of what else is out there. I'm also looking at the Peltor range, but can't afford a Sportac at this time, so hopefully the Bullseye will do for now.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5