Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default STICKEY: Equipment suggestions for New IDPA Shooters

Equipment Suggestions for New IDPA Shooters
    By Cliff Blackburn IDPA #A20891

Many folks who are new to IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) have questions about equipment. I did too but didn't ask anybody, so I spent a lot of time and money on good equipment that was excellent for other endeavors but didn't fit my approach to IDPA shooting. So from my experience let me share some thoughts with you.

There are two schools of thought concerning equipment among IDPA shooters. One is the, "I shoot the gun I carry so I can be familiar with it in case I need to use it" group, and the other is, "This is a game and I shoot the gun that gives me the best chance of winning" group. Both are valid reasons and you'll need to decide which one best matches your mindset. If you're the tactical type then the gun you like to carry concealed is what you need to shoot.

Quite frankly I think this is what IDPA was designed for. If, however, you're a "gamer" then a big gun with a long barrel (as long as it fits in the IDPA "box") will give you a distinct advantage. If your budget allows, you can get the big gun to play the game and a small gun of the same brand and operating system to carry. More guns are better, right?

The gun you shoot will determine which IDPA category you will compete in. Information concerning this is in the IDPA rule book available on line at IDPA.com so I won't cover all the specifics here.

The Stock Service Pistol (SSP) is the most common category for new shooters so I'll focus on that one for this article. This category includes traditional double action pistols, double action only pistols, and safe action (Glock) pistols. These guns are usually in 9mm or 40 S&W calibers. Many pistols used for concealed carry will fit in this category.

At matches I've seen shooters in the SSP division using pistols made by Glock®, Sig Sauer®, Ruger®, Smith & Wesson®, Beretta®, Taurus®, Heckler & Koch®, and Kahr®. There were also some others that I didn't recognize and probably some that I've forgotten. Any of the above mentioned brands would serve one well in IDPA Stock Service Pistol division.

In recent years the SSP division has been dominated by Glock® pistols. They are a great choice whether you're a tactical type or a gamer . They offer big guns and little guns and everything in between. If the grip fits your hands -- more about that later-- they're a great choice.

There are some newer guns that meet the SSP requirements and offer some real benefits. One is the Smith & Wesson M&P® pistol. They have a relatively light trigger pull that is always the same (much like the Glock®) but offer the additional advantage of having adjustable grip sizes to better fit your hand. They also have a more traditional (at least to many American shooters) grip angle. I have one of these guns on my wish list. At the last state match I saw several former Glock® shooters with the Smith & Wesson M&P® in their holsters.

Another new gun is being offered by Sig Sauer® -- the P250. I haven't seen one of these yet, they're real new and are just arriving in the stores. It's a double action only gun with a light trigger pull (about 6 pounds according to their ads) and it's another gun that can be fitted to your hand with several different frame sizes and trigger configurations. It's a very interesting gun from a good company. How it fits the IDPA game remains to be seen but if you get one let me know. I'd love to see it.

Ruger® is also offering the SR9. It's a new polymer framed double action only gun with a slim double stack grip frame that has an adjustable back strap so you can fit it to your hand. It's a striker fired gun which is new territory for Ruger. (Editors Note: Ruger has issued a recall for the SR9 - details here.)

This is not a complete list. There are a lot of good guns out there that I'm not familiar with. These are just some that I know about.

I am pleased that the gun makers are finally realizing that many shooters don't have the "average sized hand" that many of the pistols were made to fit. I've held some pistols that felt like the designers didn't consider the hand, any hand, in the equation. I have short fingers and some of the guns are just too big for me to shoot well. Finding a gun that fits your hand is very important. It's an area where you will want to get some personal expert advice.

A little test that I can suggest is with an unloaded gun (double check) place the pad of your strong hand trigger finger (the part under your finger nail) on the trigger. Now, while maintaining that contact point with your trigger finger grasp the gun in a shooting grip. Without shifting your grip point the gun at a spot on the wall. Does it point naturally at that spot or does it angle off to one side or the other? It should feel like you're pointing your finger at the spot -- like an extension of your arm. If it angles off a significant amount to the right or left you might want to look for another grip size, or another gun. As in all things "gunny" there's nothing like professional advice. In the Cleveland IDPA community there happens to be a professional trainer, several shooters who have been through various training schools, and a few Master class shooters who I'm sure will be happy to help you. All you have to do is ask.

The ergonomics of the gun will also help control the recoil. For the new shooter this is pretty important. Generally, the bigger the caliber the more recoil the shooter will experience. If you're new to shooting I would recommend 9mm for an SSP gun. It's the cheapest IDPA legal caliber to shoot and if you get into IDPA you'll want to practice as well as shoot matches, so ammo expense is something to consider. 9mm is also one of the lightest recoiling rounds for a Stock Service Pistol.

Some of the accessories that you will need for a match are eye and ear protection. A hat with a brim on it like a baseball cap will come in handy when brass starts flying. A shirt with a tight neck line like a T shirt is also appropriate. There's nothing that will get your attention like a hot shell casing caught behind your glasses or down your shirt. It's always interesting to see the latest version of the hot shell down the shirt dance.

You'll need a good holster and gun belt -- something appropriate for concealed carry. Holsters made of Kydex seem to be the favorites. There are some specific rules about holsters so check the rule book. It's disheartening to show up at a match with your new holster and be told that it might be illegal for IDPA competition.

You'll also need two magazine pouches and at least three magazines for your gun. For the local matches one hundred rounds of ammo will usually suffice. For the bigger matches like the state match or regional matches you'll probably need two hundred or more.

Finally, you'll need a cover garment -- something to conceal the gun like a vest or a jacket. Most experienced shooters will use the photographers vest or a tactical vest -- the ones that say, "shoot me first" to the bad guys. Anyway, they work well for this game even if they're not the most discrete cover garment for concealed carry.

For safety sake before you shoot a match you need to be familiar with your gun, know how to load it and unload it, and how to safely draw from a holster. You should practice these things so you and the safety officer don't have any unpleasant surprises. Periodically, some of the trainers or advanced shooters will offer an "IDPA basics" class. I would recommend that all new shooters attend one of these classes. It will help you enjoy your IDPA shooting experience. There are also hand gun training classes offered locally by Ronnie Dodd at Doddtraining.com and nationally by many well known shooting schools. I've never attended a training class where I didn't learn something useful to improve my shooting. More training is always a good thing. Remember shooting is a perishable skill so train and practice a lot.

That's enough for now. Check out an IDPA match. You'll meet some great folks and have some fun shooting. Don't be afraid to ask questions and stay safe.

If you have questions or comments feel free to contact me at Cblackburn@dedac.com.

This article is placed with authors consent.

Default Re: STICKEY: Equipment suggestions for New IDPA Shooters

Good post.

I would add that new guys should bring an appropriate attitude and a willingness to help patch, score and police brass.

Also, at least read over the rules.

And wear proper shoes. No crocks (or whatever those crap plastic hippie shoes are called), or flipflops. And wear trousers or shorts with belt loops. Tracksuit pants are not appropriate on the range or ever.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Valuable additional info , thanks SSP. hpy180

Also, bring lots of biltong! SSP and I will trade for tips! ;D
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind
    Also, bring lots of biltong! SSP and I will trade for tips! ;D
    Out-freaking-standing!
    Havamal

And some pies for BigT.....

In case you own a restaurant....do not bring the waitress with, as this will be a major mistake.....

Can I shoot concealed under a T or golf shirt or is a concealment garment better?
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by HoggerNaut View Post
    Can I shoot concealed under a T or golf shirt or is a concealment garment better?
    You can shoot with what ever garment you wish, provided it conceals the gun in accordance with the rules.

I have, however, heard rumors of some clubs requiring the use of "idpa" vests. This is, of course, incorrect.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by HoggerNaut View Post
    why would you want to shoot from UNDER BIGT???

For club shoots the shirt should be fine, but not for nationals etc. (or so ive heard)

What would make for a good IDPA vest.
    Think I should just go get one!
    MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast