Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: STICKEY: Equipment suggestions for New IDPA Shooters

Quote Originally Posted by Lindzeyva View Post

For club shoots the shirt should be fine, but not for nationals etc. (or so ive heard)
    Which club have you heard this from? I'd be interested to know as their misconception of the rules ought to be corrected by the exco.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by HoggerNaut View Post
    What would make for a good IDPA vest
    A decent "concealment garment" would be a waistcoat made from a fairly thick material (won't blow around & expose firearm) with large lower pockets to drop mags into. Plenty available at flea markets and outdoor shops.
    Vests should only be worn by marathon runners and body builders with large biceps

User

its rather simple, the gun and speedloades or mags must be properly concealed, its in the rules, arms at 90deg nothing visible........ And not printing when arms at sides. If you cant wear it to work you cant wear it on the range.

This came about with some shooterswearing tight fitting shirts, which resulted in the gun printing so well that you could read the serial number! Lose fitting shirts which do not print the gun - no problem, t shirts, golf or front button shirts. Tight fitting shirts worn over the gun tended to be more fasionable north of the boerewors certain.

Other criteria needs to be met when wearing a shirt - holster/ mags not visible with arms extended 90 degrees to the sides. Gun not visible from the front neither.

Clubs really need to start looking at this as more and more with vests/waistecoats shooters are not adhering to this rule with holsters and mag holders often sticking out from under jackets. Not really a problem with the guys who normally use shirts to conceal as they are either carrying in inside pants holsters or the shirt are oversized enough to cover the holster and mag holders (long enough). CLUBS MUST ENFORCE SHOOTERS TO EITHER BORROW A LARGER JACKET FROM A FELLOW SHOOTER IN THE DETAIL IF THEIR JACKET IS FOUND TO BE TOO SHORT - OR SHOULD BOOK THE SHOOTER A PE.

---------- Post added at 00:14 ---------- Previous post was at 00:11 ----------

PER STAGE THAT THE SHOOTER USES A TOO SHORT JACKET - problem will go away real quick if all clubs do this!

I wanna shoot as I carry EDC(a few extra magz though). Thats why I asked about the concealment jacket. I cant see myself wearing one of those photographers jackets so I dont want to shoot with one if I dont have to.
    My gear is well concealed EDC, just thinking that if I add another two mag carriers it might pring a bit. Would a slight print if I bend ect be a problem?
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by HoggerNaut
    I wanna shoot as I carry EDC................... Would a slight print if I bend ect be a problem?
    Hi HN

Shooting matches in your everyday clothing with your everyday firearm carrying in your everyday manner is ultimately the spirit of IDPA is it not? So go ahead and wear what you normally wear, carry what you normally carry in the manner you normally carry but remember that IDPA is a sport that has a set of rules that have to be complied with. So read the rules and see what it says about concealment garments. Printing of your firearm when bending and suchlike is not mentioned so your shirt that adequately covers the firearm and mags should be fine as long as it complies with all the rules, especially the safety requirements.

On a similar note I have been wearing waistcoats/photographers jackets for the last 20 years while I have only been shooting IDPA for the last 3years so waistcoats work great for me personally. I attended a league shoot in Witbank last year in winter and I remember one participant wearing a pair of jeans and a blazer on the range. It looked a bit strange at first until you realize that this is probably the guy's daily wear and it complied with the IDPA rules so hats off to him for competing like that.

In summary wear and use what works for you but make sure to comply with the rules of the sport.

Thanks Rudes.

I went over the rules. I see that with one spare mag I should be able to complete most sages so I would be able to shoot as I EDC.
    I cant wait for tomorrow! She will be the first of many!
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by HoggerNaut
    Thanks Rudes.

I went over the rules. I see that with one spare mag I should be able to complete most sages so I would be able to shoot as I EDC.
    I cant wait for tomorrow! She will be the first of many!
    The rules allow you 2 mags on the belt. Take my advice and carry 2 for the sport as the last thing you want is to run out of ammo with a target not engaged or not adequately engaged. Can you say FTN :-)

User

Wear the second mag. While you won't need it often when you do it will suck to not have it.

I normally shoot club shoots like I EDC from under an untucked shirt. Leagues and champs I game it and run a vest.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Wear the second mag. While you won't need it often when you do it will suck to not have it.
    +1. Nothing beats the look on a shooter's face when he does a pocket pat down for more ammo.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast