Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Now this is a shotgun, America Style

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Default Re: Now this is a shotgun, America Style

Yup... Well, you know what they say: "Live the American dream, BIGGER is BETTER!"
    ::) ::) ::) ::)

And a little more info.

Super Shotguns in Iraq
    by Doug Mohney
    May 18, 2005

American troops are testing a new 12 gauge automatic shotgun in Iraq. Weighing 10.5 pounds unloaded, the Auto Assault 12 (AA12) has a rate of fire of 360 rounds per minute, and uses either an 8-round box magazine (adding 12 ounces to weapon weight) or a 20 round drum magazine (adding 2.5 pounds). Recoil on the system has been reduced to that of a light rifle, due to a sophisticated recoil system. The low rate of fire makes it possible to easily fire bursts of one, two, or three shots and is capable of using and mixing all types of 12 gauge ammunition, from shot to solid slugs, as well as non-lethal rounds. Allegedly, Iraqi insurgents have little respect for the M4 rifle and the 5.56mm round, but they fear shotguns, especially a "street sweeper" like the AA12.

If that's not enough of a firepower increase at the squad level, the Marine Corps is testing a family of 12 gauge shells designed to deliver blast, fragmentation, and high-explosive armored piercing projectiles out to 200 meters. The high-explosive armor piercing projectile uses a shaped charge that has been demonstrated to put a 1 inch hole in quarter-inch steel plate. A total of 100 projectiles have been bought for testing as well as some quantity for "experimental use" in Iraq.

At first glance, packing an armor-piercing charge into a 12 gauge round sounds like overkill, but Iraqi terrorists are becoming increasingly sophisticated in fortifying themselves, vehicles, and fixed positions. Foreign fighters are using Russian-style body armor in their raids. Suicide bombers driving vehicles often wear body armor for protection until they get "on target" and some vehicles have been reportedly hardened with bullet-resistant glass and armor plate. In one incident, terrorists in a basement/crawlspace used a Russian machine gun equipped with armor-piercing rounds to shoot through a concrete floor to attack Marines. The American troops had no effective way of firing back and ultimately had to call for an air strike with a 500 pound smart bomb to eliminate the resistance.

A combination of 12 gauge armor-piercing rounds with a shotgun would provide a weapon capable of effectively stopping an up-armored vehicle or larger truck without the extra weight and expense of a dedicated anti-tank weapon. It would also provide an enhanced capability in urban warfare with a convenient and familiar method of employment.

Are they trying to tell us the the Americans aren't very good shots?
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

I have an e-mailable video clip of the AA12 in action. Contact me and I will forward it.

U GUYS.
    Now I want one of these 2.

I want one, never saw them in Iraq though only the remington pump actions
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

abhm what about the Benelli M4 which is supposed to be in use by USA Mil.

yup they could have been there too but I think thats the ones that USMC uses
    Also worked with an ODA unit that had the French space age looking one the SPAS right but that was for a specific job.

A lot of the Guard Units for example will use older equipment and some purchase specalist weapons like a shotgun from unit funds so you do find a few different types, The MP were the main users of shotguns and I did not work as cllosely with them.

I think maybe this shotgun was brought out to test similiar to the SCARS system so it was likely tested at the range near Abu Gharaib, I never used that range, although the guy in the top picture firing it is USMC I cant see enough of the background to say that is in Iraq

Also most of the Iraqi's I spoke to did not express a significant fear of a shotgun specifically, they ALL expressed a bloody great fear of the Mark 19 and the M2 50 cal thats for sure!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sands
    Yup... Well, you know what they say: "Live the American dream, BIGGER is BETTER!"
    ::) ::) ::) ::)
    go big or go home ;D

check it out in action

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast