Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Hunters targeted by burglars for their firearms

I have just spoken to a family member who apparently heard of a bulletin stating that burglars somehow got details of dedicated/registered hunters and are now being targeted for their firearms.

Since the family member could not yet provide me with any info on the bulletin, I can not say much on the legitimacy of this story. It could just as well be a bullshit, nonsense story. Has anybody perhaps heard of this? I suppose if anything in regards to this is true, it would certainly be made known under the gun owners community...

User

Default Re: Hunters targeted by burglars for their firearms

Will ask the one Oom at work. He's a big time hunter so is in the circles so he should know if any warning/message was distributed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    I have just spoken to a family member who apparently heard of a bulletin stating that burglars somehow got details of dedicated/registered hunters and are now being targeted for their firearms.

Since the family member could not yet provide me with any info on the bulletin, I can not say much on the legitimacy of this story. It could just as well be a bullshit, nonsense story. Has anybody perhaps heard of this? I suppose if anything in regards to this is true, it would certainly be made known under the gun owners community...
    How many armed robberies are perpetrated with hunting rifles? They are too large to comfortably be wielded in the confines of a house/ building, slow to operate, difficult to conceal and come in a wide variety of calibers making ammo acquisition problematic.

Targeting hunters to procure firearms does not sound logical, at least to me. Scaremongering is probably the motive behind such rumours.

User

Amen

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    How many armed robberies are perpetrated with hunting rifles? They are too large to comfortably be wielded in the confines of a house/ building, slow to operate, difficult to conceal and come in a wide variety of calibers making ammo acquisition problematic.Targeting hunters to procure firearms does not sound logical, at least to me. Scaremongering is probably the motive behind such rumours.
    Poaching?

User

I have heard of many burglaries where they left hunting rifles in the safe or next to it. They take weapons they can use in robberies like handguns, shotguns and semi-auto rifles. Doesn't make sense for them to do this. I'm not saying they won't take them if they feel like it but I think this, as mentioned by Koebelwagen, a pretty reckless attempt to scare people.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Scaremongering is probably the motive behind such rumours.
    That is what I thought as well. It just seems a bit illogical to me. However, if they are up with their game, they might be targeting hunters and sport shooters for their handguns or other weapons. I think the serious gun owner's community is vigilant enough regarding such situations to take the necessary security/defensive precautions. But one could never be vigilant enough these days...

User

Quote Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
    I have heard of many burglaries where they left hunting rifles in the safe or next to it. They take weapons they can use in robberies like handguns, shotguns and semi-auto rifles. Doesn't make sense for them to do this. I'm not saying they won't take them if they feel like it but I think this, as mentioned by Koebelwagen, a pretty reckless attempt to scare people.
    That's what used to happen for years and years.
    But now they're using those rifles (I've seen many a nice 458/418/Lee Enfield and whatnot) for poaching. Coincidence? Or is it merely proceeds from a regular burglary where rifles were then found?

User

Why not ALL gunowners incl "occasional" hunters,why only dh or dss?

Sounds like BS.

Should never be slapgat about your firearms anyway/ regardless of whether you own one or ten...

User

Yea I'll call BS too. What DirkB said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast