Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Folders......

User

Default Folders......

I recently bougth a cheapich "tactical folder"of no name brand for 80 bucks at a fleamarket ......(didnt expect real quality for the price). I started scrutinizing this knife the next day the appearance obviously was good the blade even hollow grinded..and razorsharp.. It even had some inertia built into it to help with the opening...nice. But to make a long story short it is a piece of junk. Then I started to compare it with some of the better ones I own( I have more than just a couple)....The material are probably better but in the end are they realy that good?

Some time ago someone on another thread argued that handguns are verry "iffy"... (about which I agree) My conclusion is that folders are really "iffy".... and we rely on them as possible life savers.

Just my 5c ......

User

As I have said several times before, I a major fan of fixed blades. I think this is important so I'll repeat myself...

Under stress and the effects of adrenaline, fine and complex motor skills suffer badly. to draw, open and use a folder usually requires 3 grip changes. Fine and complex motor skills. Folders have moving parts and are mechanically complex. these parts can fail (rare but possible)

fixed blades tend to use grosser movements to draw and use- just grab 'n stab. a full tang quality fixed blade is pretty tough and hard to destroy.

BTW CJ, why is this thread in the fixed blade section? ;)

Firstly I would like to say that a very small majority of knives were made to rely our lives on if any, a long gun with lots of beans would be much preffered. No knife is a good killing mashine, but if used correctly and accurately they can do a good job of subdueing your enemy so that you can get the hell out of there! They are great as a backup or in a dire need situation.

Secondly as Ive staded most knives vere not made as defense wepons. Any avid hunter will aggree that a proper skinning knife that can hold its edge well is invalueable esp when sloughtering big game. Any camper would aggree that a proper knife is a essential as there are numerous needs for it. If you enjoy the outdoors as I do you would know that leaving without your knife is like leaving your shoes behind. (try to go fishing without one!)

And lastly, a knife must be used for what it was desighned. A spyderco tasman would not survive ore even proparly penetrate a steel drum, but a Cold steel Recon would love this job. Even the best folders used for the rong purposes would be "iffy". Yet when applied right and in the right hands it is worth its weight in GOLD.

Just my 1 000 000 Zim Dollars

PEACE!
    MOLON LABE

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    As I have said several times before, I a major fan of fixed blades. )
    the only arguement for a folder in my books is concealment.

User

yeah I hear you CJ

I dont want to repeat the whole of my previous posting, but don't make the mistake of thinking a pocket clipped folder is concealed.

I carry a 10" cold steel tanto very comfortably and totally concealed under an untucked t-shirt, instantly accessable, in a handle down edge forward position on my strong side hip, just on front of where my arm hangs naturally. I love this setup because I can draw forward grip or reverse pikal, and access it with my off hand too.

User

I removed the clip...because it is nuisance. I realy need to conceal it ....

Guess you can say concealment gets priority.

my primary sd knife is a fixed blade,2 folders are backup to that.i can access my folders,but it's a skill i need to practice fairly regularly to keep "sharp".accessing fixed is the definition of simplicity.
    if you want you know about the effectiveness of blades [both folders and fixed] in close combat talk to some of the AMOK! guys,more than a few have used blades effectively against armed attackers.
    i take knives to a gunfight

OK, so I work for a company where they expect you to look proffesional and that includes wearing your shirt tucked in.

Please talk to me about knife options as well as how to carry it so that it is comfortable (sitting either at a desck or inside a vehicle), easily accessable and concealed.

User

OK, I know this is a discussion on folders and I EDC a CRKT folder clipped to my pocket myself. I would however like to mention that there are a number of persons on this forum who will point you in the direction of a KA-BAR TDI Straight Edge Knife and I think there is a lot of sence in that. When we talk about fixed blade options, the sheath becomes an unseperable discussion with the blade. At least take a pondering look at a TDI carried in the appendix position in a Kydex sheath.
    Last edited by burger; 12-06-2010 at 16:52.

User

Hi Burger,
    In line with your observation re the TDI: Although it is great to have options, my small fixed blade knife carry has recently come 'full circle' and I am back to carrying my TDI on a daily basis as a potential 'back-up' to my handgun ... I obviously also have a reliable EDC folder (either Benchmade or Spyderco) by my side on a daily basis.

Remain unarmed at your own peril :)

Kind regards,
    RobertC
    www.pdssa.webs.com
    “Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast