Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: LM Mods

User

Default Re: LM Mods

You can get a quad rail handguard to replace the standard one. Fits like a glove. The only issue is you need to make sure your optics have a long eye relief, as it will sit quite far forward. Probably the cleanest solution.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    It’s not ideal but then again a LM/R was never designed to be a MOA shooting rifle.

The UTG does have grub screws at the back that does stop it from moving as much as a std dust cover would.
    Surprisingly, many LM's will shoot 1 - 1,5 MOA with selected loads.

The forward mounted sight bases seem to give the better accuracy potential, depending on what kind of sight you want to mount.

If you choose a dust cover mounting, the standard cocking handle tends to interfere with the sight and the rail tends to grate your fingers. A bent or adapted handle will be needed.

I think a hand guard or gas tube mounted rail with a 2 MOA dot sight is about the most versatile and rugged setup.

User

Quote Originally Posted by carleng View Post
    You can get a quad rail handguard to replace the standard one. Fits like a glove. The only issue is you need to make sure your optics have a long eye relief, as it will sit quite far forward. Probably the cleanest solution.

Just to add, it is a Fab Defense product. I got mine from TacShac.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    If you choose a dust cover mounting, the standard cocking handle tends to interfere with the sight and the rail tends to grate your fingers. A bent or adapted handle will be needed.
    This is what i wanted to add as well. The side mount scope base shreds your hands.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    It’s not ideal but then again a LM/R was never designed to be a MOA shooting rifle.

The UTG does have grub screws at the back that does stop it from moving as much as a std dust cover would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The better solution was to buy a new/clean dustcover from Nobelteq and then NOT file the notch at the rear to fit the recoil spring assembly 'button', but to file the underside of the button to wedge into the notch in the dustcover. This pinches the dustcover down onto the receiver all the time. Plenty stable for a red dot sight.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

No idea if this project is still on the go

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...il-upgrade-kit

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I think a hand guard or gas tube mounted rail with a 2 MOA dot sight is about the most versatile and rugged setup.
    A few years ago... OK a looong time ago when I was still a cop I attended a demo shoot / event at Magnum United (I think AIMPOINT and Bernard Agencies organised it) There was also a small contingent of special forces guys (From 5 recce if memory serves). They all sported some type of simple red dot mounted directly (with a type of clamp setup) to the factory gas tube.

The eye relief was all over the show (from right in front of the receiver to right behind the gas block, which I assume was dependent on individual user preference. As part of the demo we put the special forces guys through a version of the IDPA classifier but modified for rifles.
    They shot pretty decent and fast. I didnt shoot their setups myself but the one guy let me handle and examine his rifle because I asked him how the red dot on the gas tube worked. If I had to put a red dot of some kind on an LM / R I would definitely go gas tube mount. I cannot imagine a simpler less bulky or light weight solution.

I wonder how well the night sight top cover with the rear springs would work.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9