Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Assault: Best manner to handle the situation

Today while coming back from the gym on my own I was traveling down the road to my house and noticed two people on the ground in the road in front of me which turned out to be 2x BM that were settling some sort of dispute between them. 3 female domestic workers who seemed to be part of this whole dispute watched from the righthand side pavement. I stopped my vehicle in front of them and got out the car and shouted to them to stop what was going on (while pointing my firearm at them) and to get out of the area. The guy who was on top of the other one complied and then pushed the other one off in the direction of an adjacent piece of large open land and then left in the opposite direction.

I didn't ask what the entire situation was about and then left after the situation had been settled. My question is; was that the best way to handle the incident? My main concern was that someone could have driven over them. I could have just avoided the situation entirely and just let them carry on. I didn't report it or notify the local security company to assist of be on the look out for them. I guess I just wanted to get it resolved and for them to go in their own directions. I have worked in the private security industry as a CPO and also for Special Events but this one got me thinking as a member of public when you don't have the support of other team members, couldn't radio for assistance etc.should you wait for assistance, should you effect an arrest and could I have escalated the situation by pulling a firearm. I know pepper spray also works well to separate a fight like this but that wasn't as readily available.

I'd be keen to hear comments/constructive criticism on this one...? Thanks.

User

Default Re: Assault: Best manner to handle the situation

If you pull your firearm, report it to the SAPS ASAP. People have been arrested for failing to do so, simply because the guilty party bothered to file false charges and the innocent party didn't think it important enough to do so.

User

As you said, pepper spray. Its readily available for around 100 bucks and is easy to edc. No saying just hose them from the get-go, but it can be a great persuader of an aggressor who wont stop beating on someone else despite you telling them to stop.

As for pointing your firearm, that is a chargeable offence and Im not sure was justified in this situation (note I was not there, and I am not a lawyer either, just going on what was written)

Good verbal command and control (which I'm sure with your background you used) may have sufficed, with a hand on a holstered firearm providing some authority and backup if needed.

User

EDIT: MS said What I wanted to in better words.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    EDIT: MS said What I wanted to in better words.
    +1

User

Haha I see that was edited.

User

Quote Originally Posted by golof View Post
    Haha I see that was edited.
    Sorry dude.

I basically said that from how I understand the situation you had no reason to draw your firearm. Your life was not in danger and which 3rd party's life did you protect?

5 people witnessed you drawing a gun and you might very well get reported.

User

Catch 22- if you spray them with pepper spray they'll probably open a case of ASSAULT GBH.

Banned

if no one was asking for help - move on. If no one appeared to be a victim - move on.
    You appear to be some one that was just telling other people what to do. ( If I was moering some guy, or in a ruff and tumble with my neighbor or mate, and you came and interfered, you would have some fire arm retrieval issues if you were not prepared to shoot (were you going to shoot some one for fighting). It would be difficult explaining how said weapon got there. . Seriously hope it's the last time you wave fire arm around with out serious consideration to cause, reason, follow through, possible outcomes and legality. ( All which should already be in your head from thinking about these things before they happen and having a basic set of guide lines at/ on mind)

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    if no one was asking for help - move on. If no one appeared to be a victim - move on.
    You appear to be some one that was just telling other people what to do. ( If I was moering some guy, or in a ruff and tumble with my neighbor or mate, and you came and interfered, you would have some fire arm retrieval issues if you were not prepared to shoot (were you going to shoot some one for fighting). It would be difficult explaining how said weapon got there. . Seriously hope it's the last time you wave fire arm around with out serious consideration to cause, reason, follow through, possible outcomes and legality. ( All which should already be in your head from thinking about these things before they happen and having a basic set of guide lines at/ on mind)
    Really? Just walk on by?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast