Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Squib Load

User

Default Re: Squib Load

Still new to the reloading thing.
    Will a primer and no charge in a 9mm P, be enough to cause a squib ?
    So what I am asking is, Does the primer have enough force to push the bullet into the barrel?

cheers

User

Yes, that's usually what happens with a squib. Primer with no powder.

Do yourself a favour and load a case with just a primer. Visit the shooting range in darkness or go to an indoor range and shoot just the primer. Be amazed at the massive flame that little thing produces, and you'll understand how it can drive a bullet into the barrel of your gun.

User

I have demonstrated this to someone using my CZ75. Loaded just a bullet, primer but no powder. Bullet is lodged in the barrel with just enough force to clear the case mouth. Assuming a misfire and doing the "tap /rack/ access" you would find that the next live round does not fully go into battery. It will however force the unfired bullet to seat itself deeper into the case, causing a compressed load. Repeated attempts to feed the next round might actually succeed causing a potential catastrophic failure due to the bullet obstruction. You would then in fact fire a bullet which is twice the standard weight with the same powder charge. Anyone familiar with reloading knows that it is a recipe for disaster.

User

I reload in batches of 50 and use a classic turret press and reloading tray.
    All my brass is cleaned sized and primed beforehand. When I sit and reload all the cases will be charged and put back in the tray to be inspected before bullet seating is done.
    As a new reloader I found this is a great way to keep slip ups out. It takes a little bit longer but I feel comfortable with the few minutes extra and my hands

User

Sometimes spending a little more time checking each one has powder can save a gun, finger or hand.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeZA View Post
    All my brass is cleaned sized and primed beforehand. When I sit and reload all the cases will be charged and put back in the tray to be inspected before bullet seating is done.
    As a new reloader I found this is a great way to keep slip ups out. It takes a little bit longer but I feel comfortable with the few minutes extra and my hands
    Ditto, I do the same. Once all 50 are charged, I run over them with a flashlight and make sure they all charged and look as if they have the same amount of powder. Then as I seat a bullet I check the case has powder before putting a bullet in. Pedantic and time consuming but safe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeZA View Post
    I use a classic turret as well and I stand while loading. Before placing a bullet on/in the case I check for powder. Once found a case with almost no powder and it turned out the hopped went empty. Instantly visible and I don't have to take the time with such small batches - about 500 in a sitting is good for me.

User

A sitting is usually is between 100 and 150 for me

User

I do it on the progressive. Finger on round as plate jumps from 2 to 3, to prevent spillage. Bullet is held in same hand. Remove finger, Mk I eyeball that there is a load and that it passes sanity check, bullet on, begin cycle, same hand removes complete raound and checks primer seat before putting in box.

Banned

Something to keep in mind in relation to this topic is that your warranty may not be honored if your gun is damaged by a reloaded round. At least, that's what my shotgun's users guide says. So be extra careful.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast