Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Advice on first Night shoot

Not sure where to post this or even if it's something worthwhile to discuss I'm attending my first night shoot this Friday. It's hosted by my local hunting institution. Rules are a blend of IPSC and IDPA, really informal type of competition. I would just like advice from the guys that have done similar shoots at night. What colour lenses is better for low light shooting ? How do you perform a mag change when the one hand is holding a flashlight ? Any other tips would also be appreciated Sorry if these questions are a waste of forum space

User

Default Re: Advice on first Night shoot

Two words, night sights

To take a different perspective, go and shoot it like you would go out at night, normally a real eye opener about how people carry

User

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    How do you perform a mag change when the one hand is holding a flashlight ? Any other tips would also be appreciated Sorry if these questions are a waste of forum space
    The whole point of doing a night shoot is to get you thinking about such practicalities. For one thing, a lanyard of sorts on your flashlight should make mag changes more manageable.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately nightsights is a no-no. I went to my local indoor range yesterday with my flashlight. I shot from 10 meters with only my flashlight on. Different but not to much poi was also not to bad.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    The whole point of doing a night shoot is to get you thinking about such practicalities. For one thing, a lanyard of sorts on your flashlight should make mag changes more manageable.
    Thanx

User

After your first night shoot fumbling with keeping your gun, spare mag, partial mag and light all working you go out and buy a WML and stick it on your gun.

Then you buy a new holster and carry it like that 24/7.

There are various methods of keeping your light working while you do remedial actions, one is to stick it under your strong arm to help illuminate the work space if needed, and other is to stick it under your arm so it doesn't illuminate anything. With these techniques you must remember to not "power stroke" your pistol too much. Too much movement on the strong arm can dislodge your light. It may just be easier to make sure you have a big pocket available and dump it in that.

For some obscure reason IDPA doesn't currently allow the use of WML's or lanyards or any other type of retaining device on your light designed to help you work a light in a gunfight. Go figure. Obviously I don't know what version of a blend of rules you will be using.

One word of advice for shooting at night, take batteries. Take extra batteries. Take another light if you can. Preferably some smaller, lower output light to allow you to do general admin tasks without draining your main batteries or dumping 500 lumens on the page you're writing on or the target you are patching.

Jackpot ! Thanx KB. As mentioned the rules are informal (except the safety rules). They allow wml and handheld torches. Extra batteries it will be, thanx. I'm taking my headlamp with anyway as they might use me to SO as well. I'm also bringing illuminated road cones from work to set the muzzle safety points, good idea ?

User

Very good idea. I think.

I also take a bunch of chem lights along with me. The idea is everyone gets one on their belt so you can keep track of everyone, but haven't used them as such yet. Using them to indicate muzzle safe points is a good idea.

KBK

Regarding the choice of eye wear. I don't have fancy RP"s or so forth. I have clear and yellow coloured safety glasses. I use dark tint lenses when shooting during the day. Suggestions ? KISS ?

Thanx, I will have to Google chem lights

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast