Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Handgun care

Default Re: Handgun care

After reading silver bullets OP, I felt an inatant pang of guilt and ran off tho clean and lube my gun including a rub down of the slide with a special anti corrosion oil. I feel a little better now

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy View Post
    After reading silver bullets OP, I felt an inatant pang of guilt and ran off tho clean and lube my gun including a rub down of the slide with a special anti corrosion oil. I feel a little better now
    aaah the power of suggestion

User

corriedewilde: the new energy saver CFL bulbs save energy by being efficient at creating light and not excess heat. the 'old' incandescent bulbs spent up to 85% of the wattage as heat- thats why an 18W CFL is the equivalent of 100W incandescent.

and while aircons cool, they also dehydrate the air, so there shouldn't be any humidity inside the walk-in safe to condense on the cool surfaces.

a good source of bulk silica is the new style kitty litter crystals.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy View Post
    with a special anti corrosion oil
    What did you use? I have been using Ballistol on the outside of my slide and frame and it's working quite well. And I must say, the polymer frame loves it!

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    a good source of bulk silica is the new style kitty litter crystals.
    +1. I have been chucking all those little silica sachets into my safe as I get them, and there is quite a few in there at the moment, but this ought to do the trick just fine!

User

the thing is silica can only adsorb so much water (about 30-40% of its weight) then its not going to help anymore.

you can 'recharge' silica by drying it in an oven at around 120C for 3-5 hours

User

I agree with you Prepare, but 15w is really more than you need in a large safe. We used 15W dumpies before because nothing smaller was available. The smallest enery saver lamp in a closed large safe will heat it so that it is later noticeable by touch.

It is the same concept that panelbeaters use, when they heat a vehicle before it is sprayed, not to trap moisture on a cold vehicle.

You are also correct that aircons lower humidity during operation, but the door opens occasionally. It may be better than without the aircon.

And you are also correct that silica can be heated to take the moisture out of them. I have a small open tin with silica cristals in each safe. Anything to protect our babies.

User

I have no real world experience using CFL's as a heat source to warm a safe, but I know from my TV and film experience that the new Kinoflow flourescent lights stay very cool, thats why I was questioning if it would actually work. Thanks for the feedback.

I have used incandescent bulbs as heat sources for homemade biltong makers though :)

Cerop, a guest of mine a while back gave me some oil they had made up (he was a competitive shooter, who worked for Castrol) specifically to prevent corrosion. Maybe the guy is part of the forum, I don't know, but the oil has been absolutely brilliant.

User

Now you know why I believe in hard-chroming my guns. I get "suggestions" that pink might suit me better, but it's how they operate and how they survive daily cary that counts for me. Plating is also usefull for reviving an old rusted clunker.

User

+1You should see the look I get get at the range with my G21 hard chromed slide. Was done 15 years back, no issues, no rust, just a gentle wipe down after every shoot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast