User

Default Barking up the wrong tree?

I am about to move to Grahamstown and I hve promised my 4 sons that if I got the job then they could have a dog. They (and me) have set their little hearts on a Jack Russell for fun, friendship and as a hunting companion (although this does not really matter). Is this a wise choice? I am not a classic hunting dog man but do love dogs with character!

not a bad choice at all if you are all a high and I mean high energy family! Staffie would also be a good choice imo as would a GSD!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

Thanks for the opinion - what is a GSD?

German Shepard Dog
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

indeed, and belay my last Dave if you can manage four sons you have the energy for a JRT!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

You will not regret a JRT.

User

I like the idea of a Russel Terrier. Your boys will give it a good workout, and it them.
    Plus, if you let it sleep inside the house, you have an early warning system if the SHTF.
    Win win situation.
    Dunno how it will point or retrieve, though.

howzit Dave,
    I had a JRT, now got a Springer spaniel (hunting dog), Lab (retired hunting dog) and a boerboel (almost a zoo). The JRT is great as a family pet. He'll keep everyone busy as hell, chew up the garden, car bumpers, kids and anything else he can get his hands on :) They're also tough as hell which is probably a good idea with 4 boys.

I would think twice however before taking him into the field. What i've seen is that their gung ho attitude gets them into all types of trouble. I hunted quite a bit with a chap in Bedford who bred JRT's. He took them into the field quite regulalry. Average life span was about 5 to 6 years before something got them, or they got stuck in a hole somewhere, or ... They're not the most obedient dogs either (compared to labs & springers) unless you're willing to spend huge amounts of time training. Don't get me wrong. They're really intelligent, and you'll easily get him to do the basics but when he's in the field his instincts take over and he'll do what he wants and ignore you flat.

I wouldn't suggest a springer as they're quite soft natured (probably not tough enough for 4 boys). Labs are great. They seem to have a good balance between being a family pet, hunting, hardy, obedient, good temperamant, ... Will keep everyone busy at a younger age, but mature into steady good natured dogs as the excitement of the new dog wears off. The make excellent hunting dogs of course and are fairly easy to train.

Good luck on your choice. Whatever you buy make sure you buy from a reputable breeder as it will save you lots of money down the road

User

Thanks Guys - JRT it will be! If I ever live on a farm it will be something else but right now I'll stick with the Jack Russell