Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steel Query

Default Steel Query

Dear fellow knife knuts,

Does anyone out there have any experience with a steel called Panzer36? I'm considering having a knife made out of this steel. Apparently the steel's composition is very similar to N690, but its performance (depending on a choice of either of two temper options) can be above that of N690. Let me say that I have had a first-hand endorsement of the steel by Kevin Harvey, which for me is about as good an endorsement as I can get in this corner of the globe. However, I'd like to hear what people's experiences have been with the steel over time - especially in hard use/outdoor fixed blade knives. I can't find references to the steel and how it performs in the field on any of the international forums, so that may imply that the steel trades under a different name elsewhere in the world. I am not a steel snob (...at least, I don't think I am.....) but it is nice to know that there is another hot steel out there that increases my options when I am having a knife made.

i haven't tried Panzer,just heard of it recently,but if Kevin says it's good you don't need another opinion.
    i take knives to a gunfight

Talking Steel Query

Absolutely HARM - if its good enough for Kevin, its good enough for me. But the steel is apparently more expensive than N690, and I wondered if it lends itself better to one type of knife than another - for example, is it better in a small EDC utility folder, or in a larger camp knife that may be required to do some chopping. I want to be sure that if I go with Panzer36, that I do so in the most appropriate purpose built knife........gosh, kinda sounds like I really am looking for an excuse to pull the trigger on a new knife in a new type of steel, eh? :-) Don't tell my wife!

I think it would b cheaper if there was a different distributor.the prices are ridiculous.
    As it is,i won.t switch from N690 anytime soon.if Bohler S A brought in N695 that's what i'd go for.

Red face Chasing Steel

Hi HARM

It has actually become something of a challenge to stay on top of developments in steel, eh? I remember the days when trusty 'ol 440c was the way to go in good production stainless knives, and when Cold Steel's and Spyderco's AUS 8 turned heads. I see that Kershaw is now running some of their new folders (the Kershaw Volt) in another of the Bohler powdered steels, M390 - also labeled a 'super-steel. I checked out the specs on it last night. The stuff looks bullet-proof. Unfortunately each new 'super steel' comes at a premium, and it does pay to check out not only whether the steel's performance is well worth that premium, but also in what sort of knife you are most likely to appreciate that particular steel's performance.

Good day Gents...new here but interesting topic so here is 2c worth...

Panzer36 is exactly the same as N690 composition wise, except for 0.6% more Silicone, 0.6% more Manganese and depending on the nature of the typing error on the datasheet from KMTS, either 0.03% less or 0.9% more Vanadium. Although these seem like very small percentages, all are 'sensitive' elements, so a small variation in recipe can make a difference.

More than that, I do not know. It has only been released the last month or so...so will take some time for other makers to experiment with it, including myself.

The spec sheet states that it is cross rolled, indicating some fairly sophisticated processing, but no other info appears on google even, a small concern.

Compared to N690 the price is more expensive, but considering the lack of availability of M390, which I have been trying to obtain from Bohler for about 18 months now as it does look very good, and the price of CPM S30V and S90V...it may have some potential...

Hope this adds some value!

Thanks for the input CraigB. I think perhaps my take-away from all this is to wait until more knife makers start using it, and a body of experience builds up on the steel. Pity that the M390 is not available as you say. And S30V looks like it will acquire collector's value now that Crucible Metals has folded, eh? I better put my Chris Reeves Neil Robert's knife (S30V) into the back of a drawer somewhere! :-)

Default Panzer 36

I am going to reply to a few of above questions.

Panzer 36 is very similar to N690. The few difference are that Panzer 36 if i got it correctly do have more Martinzite which give it a higher tensile strenght. Panzer 36 do come in flat sheets and is not rolled in coils, which reducess stress in the blades when heat treated.
    On the esthetic side the knife will have a duller grain like finish. The application for the steel would probably be a set of utility camping knives or a workhorse hunting knife.

Your Fellow Blader

CraigB, i tried getting N695 from Bohler for t and e,no luck there as well.

Harm, we keep trying...hopefully with things picking up we can get some of the other steels this year from Bohler.

Stephensonsknives, both N690 and Panzer 36 are flat sheets, 12C27 is coiled, although this is scarcely noticeable on a small knife, as soon as they get larger you can pick this up. The specifications claimed for the Panzer also indicate higher polishability than N690, but less than the 12C27...will be interesting to see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast