Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Waterbuck Meat - How is it

Hi All

I have an oppertunity to shoot a young Waterbuck bull but my concern is the meat seeing that I have heard alot of people saying that is not the best. I can get the young bull for R3k

How would it compare to Bluewildebees, Gemsbuck, Kudu, Imapal and Bushbuck.

I know that when you slaughter it you have to be carefull that the hair does not touch the meat but what else

Banned

Default Re: Waterbuck Meat - How is it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vortek View Post
    How would it compare to Bluewildebees, Gemsbuck, Kudu, Imapal and Bushbuck.

I know that when you slaughter it you have to be carefull that the hair does not touch the meat but what else
    It tastes good. The steaks are great with a slightly "dusty" taste. It is also good to marinade like a sosatie etc. It does not have the wild taste like springbok and blesbok.

Take very good care to remove the hooves asap after shooting, and use three or four people when removing the skin: one or two handle knives, the other pull the skin away from the meat. Wash hands often. Once near the animal one smells the oily secretion of the glands, it is enough to make one very careful.

User

If skinned correctly it's great meat.
    Good for wors, steaks, potjie, roasts everything.

Shot a nice bull year before and it went down very well! Was some of the nicest game that I've eaten. And it's on my list again for this year.

User

Simple rule with Waterbuck - keep the outside of the skin away from the meat. As Ds J said, you need at least two people during skinning. One (or more, more is better) to handle the skin and only the skin and one (or two) to handle the knives/meat and only the knives/meat. There's nothing wrong with the meat if properly treated. What gives Waterbuck it's taste is the glands on the legs near the hooves that secretes an oily substance that really stinks to predators, humans included. It is said that a croc won't eat a Waterbuck unless he's starving (the croc, not the buck), but I'm not quite sure that's really true...

PS: The secretions are much worse in older males. If you want to hunt a Waterbuck for it's meat, choose a younger female (like any other animal's meat). For trophies though, we know what counts... :P

User

I shot a young waterbuck cow last year, it was skinned properly and the biltong and wors was really good.

User

I heard recently of success with skinning waterbuck simply by giving the the skin a good wash with sunlight liquid before you start skinning, apparently removes all the oil from the skin and because it is not alive it no longer secretes oil. if you want the source i'll send you the guys number, Ph in estcourt.

User

When the prep is done right it makes excellent biltong and dry wors, my favourite actually. Never tried tablefare. But don't skin it right and all will be terrible, of that I can guarantee you.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    I heard recently of success with skinning waterbuck simply by giving the the skin a good wash with sunlight liquid before you start skinning, apparently removes all the oil from the skin and because it is not alive it no longer secretes oil. if you want the source i'll send you the guys number, Ph in estcourt.
    Only washing will never get off all of the musk. We do it in anycase (with OMO and brooms) and then work the skin as mentioned above.

User

A guy in our hunting group took down a cow last year. He rates the meat better than blue wildebeest and kudu

Another friend of mine makes very little biltong and wors of it and uses the bulk for home cooking and braai

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast