Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Crowbar burglar chooses wrong house

Same day in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town, 6 member "crowbar gang" caught red-handed by Durbanville SAPS and off duty SAPS officer in Kuilsriver awards crowbar burglar "first prize" for being first of his gang in the house.

http://www.tygerburger.co.za/233492/...ceman%27s-home

Police on the scene in Aloe Street after an alleged crowbar burglar was shot dead at a policeman's home.
    Residents of the quiet community Vredelust in Kuils River was greeted by a huge police presence on Monday following the death of an alleged crowbar burglar at the house of a policeman in the area.

The deceased was apparently one of five suspects who had tried to break into a house in Aloe Street at about 15:30, one resident said.

Speaking to TygerBurger on the basis of anonymity the resident said: “When I arrived there the place was completely cordoned off.”

The resident said that intruders allegedly drove a car onto the driveway of the house and used forced entry to gain access to the house when shots were fired.

“Some of the people who were nearby said they heard six shots go off,” she said.

Some of the suspects fled. One of them jumped over a wall onto a vacant plot. He died in the next street.

“The police were on the scene until after 19:00. The house apparently belongs to a police officer,” the resident said.

Colonel Pieter Galant, station commander, confirmed the incident.

“A police officer’s house was broken into by five men who arrived in a green Chrysler Voyager.

“The policeman was asleep at the time but was woken by the noise caused by the men outside trying to gain access through the safety gate,” Galant said.

“He saw the man standing with an object in his hand, which is described as a crowbar.

“The homeowner reacted and defended himself by firing off one shot. One person was shot and wounded,” Galant explained.

The rest of the suspects fled on foot.

The vehicle that was left behind was allegedly reported stolen.

“We are busy following up on that information,” Galant added.

User

Default Re: Crowbar burglar chooses wrong house

ha, kak jy.

User

Good! Catch the rest now.

User

Hmmm, does anyone think he may have used excessive force? The alleged burglar was not armed and only had a crowbar, since he was a handyman looking for a piece job :-)) Just joking...I'm glad he got nailed. One less roaming the streets.

User

He saw them trying to open the security gate and fired a shot, my first response was that it is murder because he was still "safe" behind his security gate. But by attempting to get through the security gate shows some sort of attempt.

I just wonder how it would look in a civilian SD case if we shot someone through our security gate.

I was under the impression that one has to stay behind their ate and not confront the criminals unless they come through the gate?

User

Well, this is just more proof that we need to arm ourselves, not even a police officer is protected by the police while he and his family are asleep in their own home.

User

I would say that he was protected by the police as he probably used his SAPS issued firearm. This is a case of the police being first on the scene,no phone call required.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    He saw them trying to open the security gate and fired a shot, my first response was that it is murder because he was still "safe" behind his security gate.
    Just because there was a gate doesn't mean he was safe. What if they also had firearms?

User

There is no report of them having firearms. Back to my question then.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    There is no report of them having firearms. Back to my question then.
    Should he have waited until they came through the gate and then ascertain whether they were armed.....c'mon get real. A crowbar will cave your head in and therefore its a dangerous weapon. The law requires you to act reasonably in the circumstances. I, for one, think he did act reasonably in the circumstances to avoid an imminent attack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast