Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default 1800 Hunt Expedition 2015 May

Good day members

If there are black powder hunters who wants to participates in a 1800 era hunt coming May you are more than welcome to contact me. We are currently busy busy planning the hunt and have a camp area , it will be our first black powder hunt but we want to make this an annual event.

More details can be provided when you send me a PM. We want this hunt to include black powder hunters with knowledge about the skills and crafts the old hunters had, to improve our knowledge regarding the living conditions the old people /hunters had, to survive. No new items will be aloud in the camp we try to keep it as original as possible..we will have a "Kakkebeen ossewa " on the camping grounds, open fire kitchen, long drop , beautiful trees, a lot of game and good companionship sharing experiences about previous black powder hunts.

There will be a demonstration to make "Velskoene " on site, processing venison freshly shot, smoking meat/ baking fresh bread and living off the veld....it will not be very comfortable but I think it will be a real challenge...but it beats any day sitting in front of a tv and watch rugby...

Regards

Gert

Regards

Gert

User

Default Re: 1800 Hunt Expedition 2015 May

Good day members

For the members whom want to follow this thread regarding our 1800 era black powder hunt.

Since this will be my first 1800 era black powder hunt I need to make /build/manufacture about all the accouterments/items needed for this hunt.

I already build two storm lanterns, one shaving set, one bellow . I commenced with building my own prospectors tent with two poles , rope with wooden adjusters . If you would like it I will upload photos of this process up to the end of the hunt. This will give you an idea of what such a hunt entails.

I already sewed the corners with extra material to strengthen the area where I will be inserting the brass rings to attach the ropes to. This is my first time behind a industrial sewing machine...this machine really sew faster than I can blink my eyes...it really takes some driving skills to operate this machine...but it seems we become really good friend in just two days of working together...it is a SINGER 20 U machine..one of the finest industrial machines available...a real workhorse...

I will upload photos tomorrow.

User

Hi Gert, did you come right with the charcloth?

User

Hallo Rick, it is good to hear from you. Yes, I did make a lot char-cloth pieces to use in my fire making endeavors.

I am busy building a fire-piston, I will probably complete it tomorrow if time permits. The fire piston will definitely work faster and easier than the old Tonteldoos the veteran re-enactment hunters use...

I am still looking for a cut-throat shaving blade to use in my self build shaving box...

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Gert, I need to correct you. What do you notice when you see pics of the pioneers or even paintings of them from the period? They all had beards, unless the razor is for your hardy pioneer wife's legs just let the beard grow. :)

Jokes aside this looks like fun. Please keep us posted and add pics.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Hi Gert, When you get a coal from your fire piston transfer it to another piece of charcloth before putting it into your birdsnest. Fire piston coals tend to be rather small and don't last long.

User

Corditecrazy/Rick

Thank you for the replies, I did center drilled the shaft of the fire piston deeper than normal, so a big piece of char cloth will fit in the opening. At this stage the fire piston consist of copper tube and a mild steel rod...when completed I will in-case it in wood so it looks like a 1800 era tool...

Some photos of the start of my tent:

This is my tent roof, keep in mind it is a prospector`s tent, sleeping space for two..next step will be to insert three more eyelets on each side of the roof , make anchor ropes and pitch the tent...when all is good and steadfast , I will sewn the sides to the roof panel...

The Industrial sewing machine..

As I pointed out, I am getting to know this machine better..the next tent will be made much better...

Company while working...

Threading the rope through the wooden rope tensioner/adjuster...

Pitching the tent roof...I need to insert three more eyelets on each side of the roof , anchor them and sewn the two sides alongside the roof top...

The poles are thatching poles with a dowl inserted at the top...

The rosewood tensioner in action, the rope is a sisal rope with the strands taken apart to be use as the anchor ropes...

More photos will follow as I make progress.....thank you for watching...it is much appreciated ...

User

Great it is interesting keep us updated !

User

As always you are busy with an interesting project! Makes me (and all the office bound guys I'm sure) very jealous!

User

Kaptein L/Maroelas, thank you for the replies, I need to complete two tents within the next two weeks..time is running out...it is not long before the 1800 era hunt...so much to do so little time.. I am currently busy making "klapbroeke" it is a type of trousers warn by the old Voortrekkers/hunters during the 1800 era...it is made from" Molvel " a type of cotton...my "velskoene " will be made on the hunt where a member of the hunt will give a detailed demonstration of how to make a pair of real "Veldskoene" for the members who wants to have a look at the process...here is a link with the courtesy of another forum:

The owner of this intellectual property is MC Heunis, who will be one of the participants on the hunt...if interested you can contact me to get contact details of MC. Heunis in this regard...

http://whitesmoke.co.za/powwow/viewtopic.php?t=6322

I am nearly done with my two leather jackets (onderbaadjies) ....my "klap broeke " will follow...I still need to construct my own wooden made stretchers...we are not allowed to use new era items...only 1800 era items...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast