Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default Paintball Marker vs Firearm

So on another forum a guy asked about home defense. Apart from the normal alarm system, CCTV, RoboGuard and security gates I recommended the oke to take a look at firearm ownership. Another member (who got hit by a stray police a few years ago) said the following:

A paintball gun heavily modified will get you a lot further than a pistol where fire power is the topic.
    I flipped a little on this and replied as such:

Please don't take this as an insult or an attack as I know you've been through an ordeal, but I feel strong about this. It may be that you feel a certain way but it's not wise to advise everyone the same (and I understand the same will apply to me as well, so here I am with facts and figures):

I'm going to be frank here bro, because this is exceptionally dangerous advice: This is absolute and utter bullshit. How do you get to this? Seriously? Thinking a TOY will outperform a firearm? A toy shooting a 3~6 gram ball? Let's do some maths:

Let's take the heaviest ball you mentioned (I have no idea how heavy paintballs really are) as 6 grams. That means:

Bullet weight: 6 grams = ~93 grains (measurement used when it comes to ammunition weight)
    Velocity: 500 feet per second (by the way this is a very optimistic velocity)
    Caliber: .68" (considering a 0.68" diameter bore on the marker)

Compare this to a standard 9mm Parabellum round, like the Federal HST 147gr:

Bullet weight: 147 grains = ~9.6 grams
    Velocity: 1,000 feet per second (measured by myself on a shooting chrony several times)
    Caliber: 9mm, or 0.354", expanding to 0.78" on impact

Now for the fun part. On another thread I quickly explained Sectional Density and how it affects penetration. I've drawn up a little table here to show you how sectional density between the two projectiles differ, and then quickly worked out penetration, energy, how it carries it's weight and bullet drop as well, and added it on there. Here's the table:

The important things to note here are penetration, energy and bullet drop.

Penetration: In FBI-regulated ballistics gel (blank gel - no barriers) the paintball marker even with the high velocity mentioned attains a mere 2.87" (7.3cm) of penetration. Compare that to the firearm's bullet of 16.76" (42.3cm). How's that even comparable? Add a layer or two of denim, maybe some leather and a t-shirt or overalls and the paintball marker won't even break skin, while the 9mm will maintain the same penetration as it was designed therefore.

Energy: Energy units here are ft-lbs (foot-pounds), the standard measurement of energy when talking about fired projectiles. I'll add the value in Joules here as well. Now, the paintball marker at the muzzle has an energy of 52 ft-lbs or 70.50 Joules. You want to compare this to the 326 ft-lbs or 442 Joules of the 9mm? It's not even comparable. Remember the energy is what makes the 9mm penetrate that well, and it's also what affects the temporary, primary and permanent wound cavities inside the body of whatever you shoot at. Less energy means less dumping, less damage to vital organs and less chance of incapacitating or disabling your attacker.

Bullet drop: This is important, as you're not shooting at point blank range all the time. The 9mmP's bullet drops just over an inch at 30m, which is pretty much the maximum distance you'll be shooting at at your home. Which means I can aim pretty much on target as 2.794cm is disposable measurements at 30m. On the other hand the paintball marker drop 7", which is a relatively large 17.78cm. You'll have to adjust aim, immediately.

Finally you come to practicality. You have to walk through your house with a paintball marker that's heavier, larger and longer than a handgun. You need two hands to operate the marker as it's heavy. You cannot wield a flashlight nearly as efficiently, while I can touch-and-light with my PD32 G5 R2 in my support hand while keeping my CZ 85 on target. I've got 16 rounds in the magazine in my gun and 32 more in two more magazines on the gun belt I strapped on in a second (always ready, like the firearm). And trust me, you can run a firearm fast. I actually ran a little test last week Tuesday, and according to the shot timer I can be given a command, draw my gun, flip off the safety and empty 17 rounds into a target in 4.3 seconds.

NEVER EVER EVER claim that a paintball marker can anywhere close to a firearm, because it can't.

PS: 1000 Lumens are too much for when you're in your home, you're going to blind yourself. For outside it's fine though. I've got a 780 lumen torch (Fenix E50) for outside and my Fenix P32 G5 R2 is set at 180 lumens (I think) for indoor use. 1000 Lumens is like switching on a bright light when you've just woken up - you can't see anything.
    This write-up took me a few minutes to complete and I just want to place it here (hoping all info is correct) so that there's a little table of fact to whoever needs to send it to those paintball junkies who think their guns are the shizniz. Comments please, I want to know if there's anything wrong here!

User

Default Re: Paintball Marker vs Firearm

Your argument falls flat when he brings up the hopper... which takes 500+ milspec nylon balls and will put your measly 48 rounds to shame...

;o)
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

User

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    Your argument falls flat when he brings up the hopper... which takes 500+ milspec nylon balls and will put your measly 48 rounds to shame...

;o)
    And remember when he shouts "EINA!!" he will start running any moment.

User

I have a friend who used paint balls on armed robbers. He is doing well, the bullet still lodged in his chest and his thumb may well someday do something useful again, but hey at least he got to empty a hopper at them.

If you are serious about your and your loved ones life, use a serious tool to defend it.

User

And those nylon balls will break ribs and put a guy down with a single shot...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I have a friend who used paint balls on armed robbers. He is doing well, the bullet still lodged in his chest and his thumb may well someday do something useful again, but hey at least he got to empty a hopper at them.

If you are serious about your and your loved ones life, use a serious tool to defend it.
    Deep cutting words of wisdom this.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kreefstert View Post
    And remember when he shouts "EINA!!" he will start running any moment.
    Spot on Kreef!!

User

Thanks guys. I hope the dudes over there will listen, they're generally not a very anti-gun group and quite open to the whole idea of firearm ownership, actually. I've been working for about a week or two on them now.

User

I just want to say: some paintball markers look more badass than a pistol ;)

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast