Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default How to turn a 5.6x35 into a modern Hornet?

Hi guys I'm new on this forum, but I was hoping the experts could help me on a couple of things.
    I inherited my grandfathers 5.6x35 under the impression it was a hornet and used Sellier & Bellot hornet rounds before I new any better. It's extremely accurate and I have shot impala with it, but the bolt is quite stiff to close. Obviously due to the slight difference in cartridge dimensions.

Out of all the brands I've tried S&B is the only one that I can close the bolt on.

My question is what is the best way to make this weapon accept all hornet ammo?

Should I remove 10,000ths of an inch from the bolt face or work on the chamber itself? Here in Zambia I can't get hornet reamers so working on the chamber is going to be difficult. And reloading fired brass is illegal here.

I know the original 5.6x35 took a .222 bullet and the modern Hornet cartridge is .224 so should I firelap a couple of rounds through the barrel?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

User

Default Re: How to turn a 5.6x35 into a modern Hornet?

What rifle is it?
    .22 Hornet is 5.6 x 35.
    5.6 x 35r is a different cartridge.

I don't see an oversized bullet causing a stiff bolt, it is more likely incorrect case dimension or an OAL that is pushing the bullet into the lands.

Also, older hornets were .223 not .222.

User

It is a Zidi 5.6x35 pre WW2 German rifle.
    They used a .222 bullet.

The casing length is 35.50mm where as the 22 Hornet is 35.64mm.

User

image.jpgI just want to know the best and easiest way to make this rifle accept modern Hornet ammo.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BennyMac View Post
    Here in Zambia I can't get hornet reamers so working on the chamber is going to be difficult. And reloading fired brass is illegal here.
    Can you not order in dies from USA companies like PTG (Pacific Tool and Gauge)?

User

Eish! So firearms in Zambia bring with them even more headaches than here in SA?

Firstly, some peripheral stuff:

I was given a number of mixed headstamp once-fired "22 Hornet" brass which turned out to be a combination of 5.6x35 & .22Hornet. Both types had been bought and used in a rifle stamped 22 Hornet under the belief that the 2 calibres were interchangeable. In going through the cases I noticed that amongst the Sako cases (& boxes), some were marked "22H" and some were marked "5.6x35" which implies that Sako manufacture(d) both types. I have just had a look at the Sako ammunition page and I see neither of them mentioned there now so maybe they are no longer made. Maybe however if you start asking around specifically for Sako ammo, you might get lucky with somebody having old stock somewhere.

Also, just thinking it through, I would guess it is possible that being European the S&B ammo is made to (only just) work in both calibres. I would be very surprised if any American manufacturer has made 5.6x35 ammo because the calibre is virtually unknown in the USA so you may as well limit your ammo search to European manufacturers. As your experience indicates, 22H ammo will seldom work in a 5.6x35 but 5.6x35 ammo will normally work in a 22H. Main reason for this is the 5.6x35 has a thinner rim. As an aside, I have noticed that the flash hole in S&B 22H brass is smaller than other makes, so much so that it is difficult or impossible to decap with a normal decapping pin.

If it was me, I wouldn't worry about the difference in bullet diameter in isolation because the rifle is likely to be quite strong enough to handle the extra pressure thus created. If you are the nervous type though, be aware that the 22H has traditionally been loaded to a higher performance level than the 5.6x35 (not sure if this applies to S&B) so any extra pressure created is not only due to bullet diameter. Best is to check your fired cases and make sure there are no signs of overpressure.

If I wanted to make sure that the rifle would be able to chamber all and any 22H ammo, I would remove a bit from the bolt face to compensate for the thicker rim of the 22H. I don't think that the other dimensional differences will matter in practise, given normal manufacturing tolerances and how thin, soft & deformable the 22H brass is. As you won't be reloading you don't need to worry about any effect on the brass.

User

Thanks BBCT!!

Yes indeed we have our challenges here but in saying that I have found Zambia to be the easiest place to buy and Lisence weapons! Awesome but at the same time a little scary!

Unfortunately the Sako agent here only brings in the bigger more popular calibers and can't justify bringing in Hornet ammo as the demand is minimal. But I will put the word out about old Sako rounds lying about.

I have checked some fired cases and there seems to be no visible signs of over pressure. So I'm not worried about using the "hotter" hornet rounds.

I will be taking a bit off the bolt face and see how I go.

Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BennyMac View Post
    Thanks BBCT!!

Yes indeed we have our challenges here but in saying that I have found Zambia to be the easiest place to buy and Lisence weapons! Awesome but at the same time a little scary!

Unfortunately the Sako agent here only brings in the bigger more popular calibers and can't justify bringing in Hornet ammo as the demand is minimal. But I will put the word out about old Sako rounds lying about.

I have checked some fired cases and there seems to be no visible signs of over pressure. So I'm not worried about using the "hotter" hornet rounds.

I will be taking a bit off the bolt face and see how I go.

Thanks again!!!

Hi Benny
    Did you resolve this issue with the zidi?
    I have not been able to find correct ammunition and my need to alter boltface too.

Regards

Banned

he euro designation for the .22 hornet is 5.6 x 36R while the 5.6 x 35R is the Vierling. Very confusing topic,

Banned

in short the 5,6 Vierling is a 22 Winchester but with a jacketed bullet and a nitro load when the old Win was a blackpowder/lead bullet cartridge only. When the hornet was created it got a thicker rim and the shoulder comes forward to prevent it be fired in an old rifle.
    so far you have to reduce the rim thickness from 1,6mm to 1,4 mm on hornet brass.

http://www.municion.org/22hornet/Vierling.htm
    http://www.municion.org/22hornet/22hornet.htm

in theorie bullet diameter is smaller for the Vierling - only .221 / 6,63 mm but slug the barrel

have never done it but its maybe possible to short the 22. Hornet sizing die 3-4 mm by trial and error until the shoulder is where the vierling should have to be. could be cheaper than bying a vierling die set.

Not Treemans own work, cut paste stuff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast