Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 8x68 S Owners opinions are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    This is the bit that fascinates me

Update: Members, I just returned from OR Tambo airport where I got the 8x68S barrel

HOW does one do this ?

Can anyone go to OR and -- "pick up a barre"l ?
    You do the paperwork beforehand. And or have a dealers competency which I assume Gert got.

Banned

Question Re: 8x68 S Owners opinions are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    You do the paperwork beforehand. And or have a dealers competency which I assume Gert got.
    There are still such things as -- Import and Export legislation -- here and on the other side
    The reason I asked is because Gert previously mentioned a rifle barrel BLANK that had been drilled and rifled but NOT chambered
    IF I understood correctly this is not seen as a licensed item -- NO chamber therefore unable to be shot.
    IF this is correct then one may be able to SELF import stuff without going through an "official-importer" -- and -- paying extra overheads ...
    That was MY impression -- which could of course be completely wrong

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Ah, the old I bought it but what to do with it now problem :)

Gert, there are multiple factors to consider, first the twist rate is of little importance, 1 in 10 sounds about right, but as always before choosing a very long target bullet you do the stability calculations before hand:

http://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Secondly, barrel length, now just making a barrel longer does not mean you can shoot a specific bullet faster, accuracy does not work this way. Meaning you buy a bullet, and you think you can shoot it at X speed, but when you do load development you find that your accuracy node is slower than what you thought you would shoot it at. Many people take accuracy over speed, especially for long range shooting. So after doing load development suddenly you realize that you did not need the long barrel in the first place, and you could have shortened it by 2" and still shoot it at the same speed. So the trick is you do research, on what bullet you should be able to shoot top node within safe pressure, because buying something you cannot fully use make little sense.

Now what bullet to use for what purpose?

Right, looking at the figures I would say the Nosler CC would be a very good starting point when gong shooting is concerned. You would be able to shoot it top node at about 3000ft/s. It's going to thump, make no mistake, but it should be a good combo when one starts to build long range skill. It's not a long range gong cartridge, the recoil is too much, you will get tired very soon, that is why all the long range shooters use 6mm or 6.5mm, you want BC but not recoil.

Bush loads, this is a simple one as you said you have someone making you bonded bullets, usually these bullets are not as long as target bullets, stability is not a problem, and killing power comes with the cartridge already.

Plains game, with a fast shooter like this, mmm.
    Go monolithic from the start, use a light bullet and push it fast.
    The reason I say that is because we do have local people making monolithic bullets, kriek or peregrine. I truly believe good high BC bonded bullets will be scarce, most of the time, for this caliber. With the option of local supply being there for mono's, I would go that route because supply will be good, and performance in such a fast cartridge a given. A 180gr Monolithic at 3050ft/s will be devastating, on ALL game, I am sure the others will agree. I would also try and get my hands on 160gr TTSX bullets, shoot them at about 3300ft/s, must say I have a grin on my face whiles typing this. I mean it's a funny cartridge, most of the time if you go hunt somewhere you would be the only one having such, if people then ask what you shoot, tell them you shoot a 160gr TTSX at 3300ft/s and you will win the game of top trumps. This combo will also bring a quick kill to most animals, something we all try and do.

Ps: All the quoted figures are based on real calculations, you owe me a beer :)
    Having time on my hands while I am recovering from eye surgery on both eyes , I read through the 8x68S thread again. Looking at what Messor said really makes a lot of sense . I am looking at the Perigrine hunting and practicing bullets for the .323 caliber rifle . It seems a good option, then I even have access to Stewart core bonded bullets in a Spitzer design Hansie Minnaar is making for me as well..so I am covered in all departments...since the 8x68S will not be completed to take it to the Kalahari this July , I opted for my .375 H&H Magnum with Perigrine bullets as well as with Stewart`s core bonded bullets in a "spitzer boat tail design from Hansie Minnaar. I was thinking of using 250 gn bullets in the .375 H&H Magnum.

User

This is the bit that fascinates me

Update: Members, I just returned from OR Tambo airport where I got the 8x68S barrel

HOW does one do this ?

Can anyone go to OR and -- "pick up a barre"l ?
    Breneke, as mentioned , I do have a Competency to practice as a Gunsmith as well as a Competency to Trade in Fire arms and Ammunition . The paper work has been done as a back-up if there are enquiries . I did go to the Customs department at OR Tambo as well , they indicated the following: No importing taxes on an amount of R5000 . They only start looking at items people brings in like more than a few rifles that will exceeded the R5000 limit on tax.
    The "barrel " is a barrel blank , defining : barrel blank: a piece of steel with a hole drill through with rifling of any size bore , without a chamber reamed and threaded to enable it to be screwed into an action to constitute a weapon."

This is the short explanation ....it can be brought in as a gift from a visiting hunter...

You will notice that I am not bringing in any item for fellow members or friends. The reason being it is a process making use of the kindness of hunters coming from the USA. In return I am doing them a favor by providing them with materials they do not get in the USA. Like indigenous wood for their knife making hobbies. I am currently building a 2" x 72" belt sander for one of my hunting friends that usually bring me these items..since a belt-sander in the USA is just too expensive and I can build one for him at one third the costs , just what I am doing now.

A win/win situation.

User

There are still such things as -- Import and Export legislation -- here and on the other side
    The reason I asked is because Gert previously mentioned a rifle barrel BLANK that had been drilled and rifled but NOT chambered
    IF I understood correctly this is not seen as a licensed item -- NO chamber therefore unable to be shot.
    IF this is correct then one may be able to SELF import stuff without going through an "official-importer" -- and -- paying extra overheads ...
    That was MY impression -- which could of course be completely wrong
    You are correct, you can bring a barrel blank from the USA, for your own use, end-user yourself, if it is not chambered and can not accept a live round to detonate, it can be used as material to manufacture re-loading dies as well .

You will have the following advantages:
    no need to pay tax if the barrel is less than R5000 at customs OR Tambo.
    no courier /shipping costs.
    a chance to have some of the best high quality rifle barrels like Shilen, Brux , PAC-NOR, ect.
    items not available in SA like these high grade reamers we need to complete a rifle build.

All this is what is in your favor BUT, a very big BUT:

You have to have a friend , hunter visiting SA that is willing to bring you all these nice items.....

if not , you will have to take the standard route and buy locally or import it at high costs...this is the short of it all.

User

Good members, I commenced today to build the 8x68S rifle stock. This will be more of a challenge than the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. The 8x68S rifle stock will be build from scratch out of a large piece of American Black-wall nut blank.
    I am still contemplating if I want to build a full stock 8x68S stock .
    Here are some photos:

User

Commenced with the first step to inlay the Mauser 98 receiver. Here are photos, it is a slow moving process. I need to work as accurately as possible to ensure less possible mistakes.

User

User

This is how deep I need to be to start with the blackening sooth work.I need to work downwards at an angle around the receiver since the receiver is not a straight sides item at all..Attachment 33661

User

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast