Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IDPA naysayers

User

Default IDPA naysayers

Often on various forums one will be told that IDPA instills bad habits and even that it could get you killed. We are all aware that it is not training but I am curious as to what you beleive to be examples of habits from the sport that could lead to your death. Not using it as training once again but as shooting practise.

Default Re: IDPA naysayers

The only Four things that I could say is:-
    1. Having 50% of your torso sticking out behind cover and getting in the mindset that you are safe from this position. (and on that note - IPSC not giving a dam about this issue in any case can get you even more killed)
    2. Only reloading behind cover. In real life the situation may dictate different as the dynamics might be as such that current cover might be on the verge of being compromised and you seriously need to get to another cover and I am not going to wait until I am at the new cover before reloading. (and on that note - IPSC not giving a dam about this issue in any case can get you even more killed)
    3. Engaging a hostage situation where it would be the correct and better option to retreat. (do I need to repeat myself regarding IPSC?)
    4. Not being able to operate on a 360 degree range and thus getting into the mode of not checking your back. (even more so in IPSC)

Personally I believe it is bullshit. IDPA gives you a perfect platform to improve your pistolcraft, build muscle memory and get the oh so important trigger time. Since when is it a bad thing to be able to shoot fast and accurate at the same time?

About the only thing that I do not agree with w.r.t. the rules (every game has rules), is that you cannot reload whilst moving. If the gun is empty, I'm dumping mag! Finish en klaar. Also, I think that in most hostage situations, I'd think twice before engaging since there is more than a 5 second penalty if you miss your target...

Tactically, I also think that IDPA has some merit. Obviously its towards the lower end of the scale compared to some of the advanced tactical training out there, but I honestly believe that someone who shoots IDPA on a regular basis is better off than a person who does nothing.

Habits in IDPA that will get you killed on the street: Not taking part!!!

10/10 & 2 points for neatness guys ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla
    Personally I believe it is bullshit. IDPA gives you a perfect platform to improve your pistolcraft, build muscle memory and get the oh so important trigger time. Since when is it a bad thing to be able to shoot fast and accurate at the same time?

About the only thing that I do not agree with w.r.t. the rules (every game has rules), is that you cannot reload whilst moving. If the gun is empty, I'm dumping mag! Finish en klaar. Also, I think that in most hostage situations, I'd think twice before engaging since there is more than a 5 second penalty if you miss your target...

Tactically, I also think that IDPA has some merit. Obviously its towards the lower end of the scale compared to some of the advanced tactical training out there, but I honestly believe that someone who shoots IDPA on a regular basis is better off than a person who does nothing.

Habits in IDPA that will get you killed on the street: Not taking part!!!
    +10000000000

https://www.policeone.com/police-pro...n-in-training/

Article by Ron Avery. Multiple gunfight victor.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

No reason not to check 6 on a 180 degree range. Just pivot your head. Its not the preferred 3rd eye technique but it instills the habit.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Good find SSP. Excellent article.

From www.vickerstactical.com:

"Competition arena accomplishments:

I have had the privilege to train with several of the best competition shooters in the US including Rob Leatham, Jerry Barnhart, Mike Voight, and John Shaw. I consider many of them friends and want to publicly thank them for their contributions for helping me become a better shooter. I shot competitively as a hobby for several years. I have many state and regional awards and championships. I will only list some of the highlights:

• Top Ten finisher at USPSA Limited Nationals in 1993 & 1994
    • Two time top CDP shooter at IDPA Winter Nationals
    • Two time top 5 finisher in my class at IDPA Nationals
    • Founding member of International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA)
    • IDPA Vickers Count scoring system is named after me -I did not originate it however; I learned it from Rob Leatham (an interesting story in itself)
    • Master Class USPSA Limited Shooter
    • Master Class IDPA shooter in CDP, ESP, and SSP

- Larry Vickers"

I'm sure that if this sport were inherently flawed, then people like Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn etc. (the founders) would have never conceived it in the first place. Their credentials speak for themselves.

Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

IMHO

1. When bullets fly - the body exposure goes from 50% to 0% (or you CTRL + ALT + DEL)
    2. The Shit factor goes up 300%
    3. The duck factor (bend over) goes up

1. The shooting sports (both) give muscle memory on basic / intermediate and advanced pistol craft
    2. Test the cockaroach
    3, Teach the shooter about dat thing called andrenalin...

At the end of the day .. the best gunfighter may not be the best sport shooter..

But I tell you something I will take 90% of the local sport shooters into a gunfight before I take 99% of the enforcement officials. fighting0035

And in IDPA - I tell you I pity anybody going against most of our Sharpshooters and GPTS if they face the Experts and Masters

User

On the 360 range thing it would be nice but I dont think that many instructors have access to one either. The reloading no the note thing ja if I am stuck in the open with an empty gun I need to reload that sucker now but I think the idea is that you shouldnt do going into the unknown with a empty or half empty gun. Reload wren you want to not when you have to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast