User

Default Father dies, family injured in Silverfields

Father dies, family injured in Silverfields

http://krugersdorpnews.co.za/259786/...amily-injured/
    http://krugersdorpnews.co.za/260451/...-laid-to-rest/

“I could see death in their eyes – they were ruthless,” son said after armed robbery incident that had claimed his father.

When seven armed men stormed into a Silverfields home just before 10pm last Monday, all he could think of was they surely must leave at some point.
    Two bouquets of flowers now stand where the television set used to be. On the opposite end of the living room 22-year-old Mikael Cope recalled with clenched hands the night that claimed his father, Thomas.
    “I could see death in their eyes – they were ruthless!”
    Both Mikael and his father went to bed early that evening but were woken by his sister Chantelle’s hysterical screams.

She and her mother Kathy were watching TV in the living room when they heard a loud noise as the armed men gained entry through the kitchen window and the front door simultaneously by breaking it open with a crowbar.
    Neither sure of what exactly was happening nor thinking straight Mikael got up and ran to fight off the attackers.

“There was a scuffle and I was hit on the head with a gun; then I realised I was bound to lose this battle.”
    With a head wound bleeding profusely he saw how his dad was being hit on the head with a crowbar.

His mother and sister also were beaten with a crowbar when the men were tying their hands and feet with charger cables.
    “I was resisting, so they hit me on the back badly,” Kathy said.
    The men started shouting, asking where the money, safe, guns, jewellery and the car keys were.
    “I hopped to my room to find the keys of my car (a Honda), but I could not find it. I am convinced it must have been in my gym bag they had taken with them.”
    When the robbers realised Mikael was unable to find the keys, they made him sit on the bed of his brother Kristopher, who had left the house about an hour before the robbery.

“While I was sitting on my brother’s bed I was certain I was going to bleed to death. I kept on thinking they must be leaving soon as our neighbours would become suspicious because of the noise they were making.”
    A friend, Nathan Jones, described the house as a crime scene after the robbers ransacked it, cleaned out cupboards, and took clothes, valuables and electronic equipment.
    “There was blood everywhere!”
    The household goods were loaded into the Cope’s two vehicles, an Opel Corsa and a Ford Fiesta before the robbers fled the scene.

“When I realised they had gone I started screaming for help. The neighbours heard me and phoned the police and emergency services.”
    Mikael said after realising how bad his dad was injured they rushed him to hospital in a friend’s car who arrived on the scene within minutes. However, Thomas died later that night due to head injuries, among other a fractured skull.

“I asked my dad if he wanted to sleep, and he just answered ‘yes’,” an emotional Mikael said. Tshepiso Mashale, a police spokesperson confirmed the incident and said police had recovered one of the vehicles in Soweto days after the incident. The robbers are still at large.
    Funeral arrangements had not been finalised by the time of going to print.

User

Default Re: Father dies, family injured in Silverfields

Condolences to the family.

This hits very close to home for me as my wife lost her father in a very similar way, Due to severe head injuries caused during a robbery.

User

Default Re: Father dies, family injured in Silverfields

If people could just realize how aggressive, inhumane, ruthless an attacker can behave, they would prepare better..

I find it difficult the convey this message to other people, even to my own wife and kids..(having experienced this criminal behaviour first hand a number of times)

It's as if we try to protect our minds by closing our ears to these things ?

A lot of heartache and pain in the Cope Family.. Condolences to those that remain, now fatherless...