Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast

Default Re: You've been Made (Images)

SAPS procurement is famously bad. And has been since the beginning of time.

The same mindset that ordered RAP401's for detectives and females resulted in this holster designs purchase. And the purchase of makeup brushes instead of squirrel hair fingerprint brushes.

I guy I know who makes gear sold a bunch of rifle slings to the police. R150ks worth. They eventually refused to pay for them, without returning them, because they claimed that they failed.

As it turns out the slings did fail. When they tied a bunch together to fashion a towing strap to pull a police van out of a ditch.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Not everybody is technically minded, but if it is a loose bolt or a worn out pin, why not just tighten or replace it yourself? Don't they inspect their kit before putting it on?
    Pretty sure that there are some fairly hard rules about messing with issue gear.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    ... the purchase of makeup brushes instead of squirrel hair fingerprint brushes.
    Look, we've got ample supply of squirrels where I live, the things are a pest... I'm sure I could supply squirrels to a brushmaker!

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    SAPS procurement is famously bad. And has been since the beginning of time.

The same mindset that ordered RAP401's for detectives and females resulted in this holster designs purchase. And the purchase of makeup brushes instead of squirrel hair fingerprint brushes.

I guy I know who makes gear sold a bunch of rifle slings to the police. R150ks worth. They eventually refused to pay for them, without returning them, because they claimed that they failed.

As it turns out the slings did fail. When they tied a bunch together to fashion a towing strap to pull a police van out of a ditch.
    A nice review

"Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    Are there straight guidelines with regards to holsters? Does it form part of yout uniform? Could a member with his own money go and buy a RHT / Safariland/ whatever holster that works properly. Obviously avoiding logos and funky colors and whatever else is inappropriate for a police member to use on duty.

It shouldn't be necessary for members to have to go this route, but i would totally understand.
    Those who can afford to and understand the consequences of using shitty equipment make a plan to get stuff that works.
    Understanding the consequences comes from either first hand experience or good training... so that excludes most members.
    Being able to afford... That also excludes most members.

Only thing "issued" on my belt was my gun. Everything else including the belt and the stuff inside the gun and mags was private purchase. Never got issues. But I held down three extra jobs to afford all the cool stuff.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Those who can afford to and understand the consequences of using shitty equipment make a plan to get stuff that works.
    Understanding the consequences comes from either first hand experience or good training... so that excludes most members.
    Being able to afford... That also excludes most members.

Only thing "issued" on my belt was my gun. Everything else including the belt and the stuff inside the gun and mags was private purchase. Never got issues. But I held down three extra jobs to afford all the cool stuff.
    So you had to buy your own ammunition?

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

The lady officer can thus be excused as she did not realise the problem immediately and the photo was taken during this time. At least that is what I understand from the MH comment.

I just hope if I someday don't realise that my concealed handgun accidentally showed or drop from its holster in a public space that the comment from SAPS high ranks would also be: "Aaagg, its ok, he just didn't realise."

All of my sympathy though for the lady cop and all the other SAPS members that need to protect life and limb and the community with shitty gear, cars, clothes, boots, radios, ammo (or no ammo), almost no shooting range sessions and training.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MFouche94 View Post
    So you had to buy your own ammunition?

Cops who get issued with a SAP108 gun (Issued to you to keep versus the rusty POS in the charge office safe) also get a little brown box containing 25 rounds of FMJ. When you shoot out a round or a few of them you might even get issued with a few to replace the one's you shot out!

If the wrong officer catches you with more than 25 rounds you can get into trouble, because WHERE did you get the extra ammo? (That is neither issued to you or that you cannot show a licence for)

Unless you own a licenced 9mm. Then you just buy what you want / need (or in my case load as many, as hot as you want)

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Cops who get issued with a SAP108 gun (Issued to you to keep versus the rusty POS in the charge office safe) also get a little brown box containing 25 rounds of FMJ. When you shoot out a round or a few of them you might even get issued with a few to replace the one's you shot out!

If the wrong officer catches you with more than 25 rounds you can get into trouble, because WHERE did you get the extra ammo? (That is neither issued to you or that you cannot show a licence for)

Unless you own a licenced 9mm. Then you just buy what you want / need (or in my case load as many, as hot as you want)
    Ok that's interesting. This self-bought ammo may still not be hollow points, correct?

User

Quote Originally Posted by MFouche94 View Post
    Ok that's interesting. This self-bought ammo may still not be hollow points, correct?

It is not allowed as per "Staande Orders" (SAPS Regulations)
    It is however NOT illegal to carry hollow point ammo. (For civvies or cops) According to regulations only officially issued ammo may be fired in a state owned firearm. But at some stage cops could buy FMJ ball at Veritas (2nd floor if I remember correctly) with their police ID / appointment card in lieu of a licence. So that wasn't "issued" either... And lots of cops shoot reloaded ammo in their issue pistols if they do sport shooting. (I suppose if one blows up a state owned gun with reloads there would be some explaining to do...)

Worst thing that ever happened to me was that some "expert" would sternly inform me that If I ever shot someone with a hollow point I would be charged with murder. The same type of expert would also tell people that it is illegal to carry a chambered round (often happened at roadblocks) and I know of one instance where a senior officer instructed a captain that it is illegal to have a torch or a laser on a pistol... (Apparently one will be arrested for using such an evil combination of technology and firepower for self defence as it does not give the attacker a sporting chance)

And that is why one NEVER takes advice about guns or their use from a cop. Especially if their only exposure to guns is the gun they are forced to carry, or if they are college instructors. trust me...

Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast