Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: You've been Made (Images)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevendr View Post
    Correct.
    The context I was using as "hard target" is by obviously carrying a firearm for everyone to see.
    That's not "hard target", that is "obvious threat". "Obvious threats" are eliminated first, and by surprise, so that you are not a problem for attackers down the line.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    That's not "hard target", that is "obvious threat". "Obvious threats" are eliminated first, and by surprise, so that you are not a problem for attackers down the line.
    Better choice of words.
    Seems like I'm going round and round, but we on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecollinge View Post
    Pictures of grown men wearing crocs, maybe????
    I wear crocs. Mine are red.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Why the urge to attack them? Seems all you can do snipe at those who may not want to see your gun. You're not doing the message any good by treating them with disdain. You're in fact supporting the narrative supported by the antis that we are troglodyte dick swingers. You're a bright dude. That will sway more people. The attacks on police and armed security for their guns should be enough of a lesson in the risks involved. You gain nothing by not ensuring youre properly concealed. While losing, whats the point in pretending its a good idea ?
    I'm not out to attack them, just speaking candidly (OK, and poking a bit of fun at 'em too). If it's coming off as brash and aggressive willy-wagging, my bad (tone that may be obvious to some social circles may not be apparent to others). However, we do put too much stock into the idea that what we say, will have any real sway over the those who are undecided regarding firearms. We're all playing a giant game of pigeon chess against an opponent that plays dirty. Trying to counter that particular narrative from the antis is a poor strategy for the following reasons:
    a) it fractures the community through 'othering' - where individuals will throw everyone else under the bus in an attempt to set themselves apart from those other firearm owners, they're one the good ones. *cough*NRA leadership*cough*
    b) it forces us into a defensive position where the goal posts and rules are constantly changing,
    c) it gives weight to their argument that there is something wrong in the community if we start self-policing
    Their appeal to emotion and attacks on character may not win an argument, but it wins over the audience. You change that by not playing by their rules, and providing a positive experience with firearms to anyone who is willing.

But enough of that... back on topic

Sure, police and security officers are being injured/killed and relieved of their weapons, but is that because they open carry for ease of access, or is it just a risk due the nature of their job? If open carry was the cause, we would be seeing similar attacks on poorly concealing civilians (and those who open carry in the US). Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing in favour of open carry or saying civilians are never relived of their weapons. What I am doing, is questioning whether we are placing unnecessary burden on ourselves to avoid an exaggerated sense of risk, which may not even apply to us, to the extent that we've been led to believe. Also, how many of us are neglecting situational awareness and making our vigilance known to criminals, for the sake of our paranoia that we're printing or may 'out' ourselves as carrying firearm owners.

We tend to forget that not everyone conceals well, has the same requirements/circumstances. For such a friendly and often supportive bunch, we do have a problem of scolding and eating our own.

User

Some guys open carry but also keep Situational awareness and do not travel in areas where it is an issue
    At home I open carry
    At the shops I conceal but i know there are those who can tell I am carrying
    At work I conceal and I try to make sure NOBODY HAS ANY IDEA , it is uncomfortable at times even with a great set up
    Sometimes its too hot to conceal properly but at work I have no choice. I work in a "Gun Free Zone"
    In my very humble opinion ,its better to conceal when you are in public
    At home or in a "friendly zone" it is better to have your gun easily accessible

User

Interesting thought....open carry at home vs concealed carry outside. Thoughts from the more experienced as to whether this would impact draw performance? Thinking from a muscle memory perspective, is it a non issue?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Borschot-luger View Post
    At the shops I conceal but i know there are those who can tell I am carrying
    In my very humble opinion ,its better to conceal when you are in public
    At home or in a "friendly zone" it is better to have your gun easily accessible
    If multiple people can tell that you are carrying, you are not concealing.

What is a 'friendly zone'? If its a place where there is no chance of bad guys, it wouldn't matter if your gun was easily accessible or not. If its a place where there could be bad guys, why is it more okay that they know you're carrying than the general public?

User

If a claw on a holster assists with better concealment when carrying AIWB - would it also assist with better concealment when carrying 3-4 o'clock?

User

Anybody with half a brain can tell
    If you have a jacket and its hot....
    That small print that you can't see unless you focus...
    The clip that is on your belt
    The heavy duty belt .
    I can tell most of the time when somebody is carrying a gun on their hip
    The one time i did not notice , it turned out dude had an ankle holstered Beretta 71, so he was barely carrying LOL

Friendly Zone like "The shooting range"
    Friendly meaning that people expect to see guns there and you dont feel the need to conceal

I have tried my best to make sure nobody knows I am carrying a gun
    It will not work all the time.
    SLR women wear concealer all the time... we can still see the wrinkles they are just concealed.........

User

Anybody with half a brain can tell
    If you have a jacket and its hot....
    That small print that you can't see unless you focus...
    The clip that is on your belt
    The heavy duty belt .
    At work I conceal and I try to make sure NOBODY HAS ANY IDEA , it is uncomfortable at times even with a great set up
    Sometimes its too hot to conceal properly but at work I have no choice. I work in a "Gun Free Zone"
    How do these two ideas work together? The same things that people in public will pick up giving away that you are carrying are surely also visible to the people at work? If anything they should be more likely to figure it out

I've carried in very non-permissive environments (including a period where it was illegal) for years. No jackets, but smart planning with patterned shirts, a compact firearm, great holsters etc.

Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast