Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Sick of having to explain WHY you prepare for SD?

The times I have been the victim of crime have so far been somewhat non violent, and involved the BGs bolting as soon as they were discovered (7 foot walls be damned). I am very sure that is not always the case, so we were very lucky. One guy used an axe to try break through my door, so he had a deadly weapon and at the time I did not own a gun. Even earlier, when I was about 4, a BG even hurled a knife at my mother in front of my eyes, which is still a very clear memory. My folks were not too worried about it - they did have an alarm installed, but it wasn't even connected to any armed response, or actively used. My parents are smart, professional and well educated people - so what gives?

I have recently bought a new home myself, and I have taken various steps to protect the property. It still astounds me how unprepared people are to take security seriously - even after several break ins. I feel like people around me think I am the unreasonable person, actually having an alarm, security gate and a locked bedroom door, firearm etc. There has apparently been no crime in the new area that I live in, but why the heck is everyone so eager to be the first victim?

The fact that I should have mentioned first is I have only lived in 'good' high income areas, and we have multiple break ins at each house (except the year we lived in Canada). I live in George - not Johannesburg.

If people find out that I have a firearm (I do not volunteer the information often), the first question I get is "Why?". It really just blows my mind. What do you mean WHY? Do you not read the news? Do you have some kind of illusion that most people in the world are good and just go about their business? Have all the atrocities in the World not taught you anything? And its not just the firearm.. people just do not understand why I insist on locking doors unless I am using them, or why I insist on leaving lights on at night, etc.

Luckily a forum like this reminds me that I am not crazy, and taking responsible steps to protect myself and my family are perfectly logical.

Does anyone else feel the same way around family?

Default Re: Sick of having to explain WHY you prepare for SD?

I've also been asked:"Why would you want to carry a gun?"

I usually answer (to the guys) that they might be comfortable with watching their wife/girlfriend get gang raped, but I'm not. I'd rather fight to the death before having to live with the guilt of not being able to do anything.

This is my true opinion and shuts them up quite quickly.

User

Yeah that is pretty much my strongest motivation, if I had to to think of one.

The last break in at my folks this weekend passed involved two men jumping over their walls, while my mother was home alone. Could easily have gone the way you described. What alarms me more is the reaction by my parents. More importantly the lack thereof. The first thing my mother did when she saw the BG, was not to secure a position of safety, but to shout through an open door. It just boggles the mind, it really does. The guys had been sitting outside the house watching all day, and my mother knew this! My father was an hour away, and I too was about 20 min away at the time. Before it developed into a break in, the two BGs rang the doorbell a few times to make sure the house was empty (my mother did not respond). It would be pretty obvious that they were waiting for an opportunity to break in. She didn't call me or the police. The situation could easily have been avoided.

And all the time there were two loaded guns collecting dust in the safe. No attempt was made to retrieve them before or after the event. The ammo in the 38 Special is probably 12 years old. And yes, I have tried to educate these people, I really have.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla
    I've also been asked:"Why would you want to carry a gun?"

I usually answer (to the guys) that they might be comfortable with watching their wife/girlfriend get gang raped, but I'm not. I'd rather fight to the death before having to live with the guilt of not being able to do anything.

This is my true opinion and shuts them up quite quickly.

Even if I lived in a crime free country I would still carry. I consider self defence a duty. Bla's response is pretty similar to mine. I try to go into as much violent and graphic detail (to women too) when descibing recent attacks. This usually sees them coming round to my view, vomiting or walking away shaking their heads.

In my experience Afrikaans ladies are far more receptive to the idea of SD and carrying than English women. Wonder why?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Perhaps because Afrikaans woman have been around guns more on farms, etc? Heck, I'm just guessing. My wife is English but has had experience living on small holdings, being around guns, etc. Makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Even if I lived in a crime free country I would still carry. I consider self defence a duty. Bla's response is pretty similar to mine. I try to go into as much violent and graphic detail (to women too) when descibing recent attacks. This usually sees them coming round to my view, vomiting or walking away shaking their heads.

In my experience Afrikaans ladies are far more receptive to the idea of SD and carrying than English women. Wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    They know what a klap feels like! Just kidding, but this observation is true...to an extent. Most women I know are shit scared of firearms and do not have much interest in learning. In my opinion, thats their choice. Just so sad that they refuse to consider the consequence of this choice.

User

Generally I beleive Afrikaans people understand self reliance more. Some of my friends and family consider me paranoid. I dont really take much notice always find it interesting that they are willing to trust their safety to others. I have some very anti family members which leads to interesting debates (read arguments)

Yes, it is mind boggling the way people ignore what is going on around them and not talking preventative action. It is as if they just do not care but just wait until something happens to them and then see the reaction.

But yes, people should wake up and smell the coffee or is it the brown stuff floating around them that they just choose to ignore!

SSP, not saying this or that, I think it is a bit of a culture thing regarding Afrikaans and English woman and the acceptance of firearms. I have also experienced this perception / difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    Generally I beleive Afrikaans people understand self reliance more. Some of my friends and family consider me paranoid. I dont really take much notice always find it interesting that they are willing to trust their safety to others. I have some very anti family members which leads to interesting debates (read arguments)
    I know your family. By arguments he means stand up fights which are only inches away from fisticuffs. With all due respect of course.

I agree re: the self reliance thing.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I think we are all in agreement that we already know why WE carry firearms and are security conscious. So why are we trying to justify our reasons to the "sheeple"? They should be justifying their lowly mindset to us! for example:

Sheeple: Why do you carry a GUN?
    Me: Why would I NOT carry a gun?
    Sheeple: But, but...GUNS are dangerous!
    Me: Why would I carry a gun that isn't dangerous?
    Sheeple: But they'll use it against you!
    Me: How?
    Sheeple: They'll grab it!
    Me: How?
    Sheeple: I don't know!
    Me: So you know nothing about disarms? Why?

(They tend to lose interest after you follow this line long enough) ;D
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast