Default Is "Practice" a valid Motivation

Good day

I was not sure where to post this, Legal or Licencing, I decided here.

I want a little Ruger SR .22 pistol. I intend to use it to teach my little boys and to practice my own drills. I have a G19 as my SD pistol. The honest motivation for the pistol is practice and training. I am a dedicated hunter, with all the relevent competancy passed.

Does the FCA accept "practice" as a motivation?

Thank you
    Ryan

Default Re: Is "Practice" a valid Motivation

Rather specify occasional sport shooting.

The 'practice' motivation can be used more effectively when you are a dedicated sport shooter, and you need a .22 pistol as a practice handgun because the ammunition is a lot cheaper.

If you only have one pistol , for SD, it should not be a problem. It's when you own multiple pistols already, that the dedicated sport shooting is needed to more easily motivate additional pistol licenses.

This is just an opinion, you have to submit the application and see what happens.
    Last edited by 414gates; 24-11-2012 at 12:57. Reason: addendum

User

If you want to practice for yourself and your SD pistol, practice with your SD pistol. Clearly distinguish between the two and realize that the SD/EDC pistol has a clear role - to save you and your family's lives, and train with it as such. Training with a .22 only will sure as hell give you cool groupings and fun shooting, but when a SHTF situation comes you have to know your EDC/SD weapon best of all, be comfortable with it's use and know that you're most competent in firing it above all else.

User

He wants a .22 pistol and is asking for advice on how to motivate it. He is not asking for advice on whether or not to buy it.

User

Understood. I just thought I'd throw a spanner in the works. Albeit it a works filled with screws. Nevertheless, I'd say licence it for OSS.

OSS Okay great, thanks for the info. I do shoot my G19 alot. I have a LM and Remington defender, my weapons and mindset are as good as I can get them for defending my family. I am a Farmer!

Any how, my little boys are interested so I thought to get this little ruger for them. Drawstroke, mag change, fire and move, transitions. I think these are all drills I could apply with the SR 22. I have had my Glock for the last 12 years and have never left it in the safe, it lives on me so I am very used to the weapon. I do hear you in defining the roles of each as reactions need to be instinctive in a high stress situation.

Thanks for the input
    Ryan

Tell me you could not find a use for this. ha ha.

User

Aahh she's a beauty.

I think you got all the answers in here. Apply for DSS or (if I counted correctly) OSS because you only have three firearms currently.

Motivate it for Sport shooting and explain that you'll practice with it (technique) and also use it as a training tool for your kids.

Add lots of photos where you are on the range with the kids. Obviously make sure they are wearing eye/ear protecting in photos too.

That should do it.

Thanks JB, I have a few more than 3. Any how I am declared dedicated so I can have as many as I can motivate. I was unsure if I should mention that it is for training little boys, never know how the state will percieve that, I will have a think but thanks for the post. It also depends on price as its below $400 in the US but I am not paying R7 or R8K for it so we will see what happens.

Cheerio
    Ryan

User

I hear what you're saying about mentioning the kids.

So far I have always included something to that effect in motivations where a applicant want to also train his kids or take them hunting with said rifle.

I find it so annoying that we have to tip-toe around issues like this. The main reason of course for this is my main gripe with FCA - the motivation of a firearm is as far as I am concerned a fruitless exercise.

We motivate firearms mainly based on what we know the SAPS wants to hear. I've often wondered what would happen if I send in a hoax application and motivate the firearm for "the assassination of political idiots in the Legislature".

I think there might be a chance that it will even slip through.

To motivate the use of a firearm is as silly as motivating the use of a Motor vehicle. Both can be used to kill people but obviously no one wants to do this. And IF it should happen, there are (already) law in place to deal with this.

Hopefully the same bright spark from the SAPS that picked up on the Endorsement issue during the last few months, won't read this message, otherwise you might be motivating your new Hilux Bakkie purchase by next year.

In any event. Good luck with the application