Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: And my wife?

Default And my wife?

In this last few weeks three members shared their SD experiences with thia forum. It taught me:1. I am not sufficiently prepaired2. I am not sufficiently equipped3.I am not sufficiently trained4.I am not fit enough.But - at least I am an average man. So if attacked by another man I at least have a chance. I am now also borrowing a holster and started to EDC (day 5 today). I usually only carried when going on long trips and on the farm.I never tought of carrying a spare mag or knife - until reading GS.But now: What about my wife? I took her handgun shooting on the farm - she does not like it. She drives around our 3 year old daughter. What does it help that I EDC and I am not with them and at work?What should I (forcefully) get her? A knife and knife training? Pepper spray? A taizer?I will work on her about an FA - but need to do something now.Advice will, once again, be appreciated.

Default Re: And my wife?

Never unprepared, but you only started to EDC last week? Then again, I'm not really a mix between a sheep and a rabbit.

Anyway, your starting point is to change her mindset. If that doesn't change, nothing will work. If it does, the road is open. Start her off with a knife and some SD training, and if she'll carry a gun you have a winner.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

NQNP, I sit in a similar boat. But what differs is that I could at least convince my wife to get licenced, I can't convince her to EDC though, her safe is well protected. She does at least take it out at night when I have to work away.

So, I will be piggybacking on your thread to see whet the "slim manne" sugest.

If the lady doesn't want to carry, she's not going to. I sit with the same situation, there is zero point in attempting to change someone's mind if they are not able to change it themselves.

My wife doesn't carry either, thought I'm working on her as well.
    Maybe we should ask the forum ladies or wives who do carry to share experiences and tips, to pass along to our wives? A succesful self defense gun use story would help as well.

And of course, being husbands, our advice is often overlooked It might also be a good idea to get them to a training session with a decent trainer, someone who can explain to them how attacks happen in real life, and how little it'll help to have a whistle when a guy storms at you with a panga.

User

Luckily there wasn't much convincing to do for my wife. In fact after we did our homework for our applications she was more adamant than ever to EDC. The only issue was the right FA for her. Initially she was dead set on the P07 but with her 5ft nothing frame myself and a few mates who EDC wasn't convinced it's the right FA. Got her to shoot with a G26 and she was sold. Give it time and have her do the research with you, it might change her mind. Important though it must be a willing choice if she's not comfortable with EDC it might actually be more dangerous IMHO.

User

Forcefully? Good luck with that.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    Forcefully? Good luck with that.
    Indeed.

User

If you force her to carry anything :gun, knife , whatever she's only really hanging on to it until her attackers come so she can hand it over. She needs to understand reality, or not carry.

Educate her but don't fight her on it.

What I am about to say might be horrible, but make it about the child.

"You want our baby totally defenceless? What if they wanted to take our baby for human trafficking (which they are doing A LOT these days). How much resistance could you offer to prevent anyone from forcefully taking our child?"

Make her look like a loony for not wanting to defend the child and indirectly herself.

Though some of this was said tongue-in-cheek, there is some truth in it.

She must understand that it is not only her life she will be defending.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast