Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by bronxlive View Post
    I'll also call bs on this.
    Guy I went to school with is currently in the STF.
    In not one single pic of his have I seen a female operator. Or I have never heard of one either. They train very very hard and their standards are very high. So there won't be no "hippo's" in the force.

And also they do a lot of physical training and parachute jumping for training so weight will be an issue.

Don't think that because you can handle a fa well you'll make it. You will have to be in exceptional physical condition, meaning fit and mentally strong.
    If you have any fears like for heights and small spaces, don't even apply.

Another guy I know well tried out and made selection (they did it together)iirc but he didn't become an operator because the hard work gets even tougher once you pass selection. Iirc it takes another 3 or more years to become an official stf operator after passing selection.
    This is exactly what I thought. Thanks guys. I am exceptionally fit and always building it up via bodywieght training and running. Would it be possible for me to get in contact with your friend, Bronxlive? Would be great to chat to him.

Any other advice or 2c welcome!!!

Default Re: Joining SAPS Special Task Force. Advice and 2c please!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_haha View Post
    Thanks for your 2c man  but I want to join the STF only, nothing else.
    How would you be a valuable member without experience in normal policing or in life, given your youth? You would fail an interview with that position BTW.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    Ill call bullshit on this. A very good friend of mine is an ex Taakie (out for about a year now). There are strict standards all around, if you can't cut it you don't get in or stay around. So either the "hippo" managed to achieve all these standards, or someone is telling a tall tale.

That said, I've spoken to my mate about this. He honestly believes the route he took was the best, and I tend to see why.

He went to university and got a degree, in that time he was a reservist. The minute he graduated he became PF, and worked his 2 years. All the time prepping for his "time". Anyone in Saps (as far as I know) can attempt the tryouts or selection after their 2 years.

He operated for just over 2 years, his best mate in the TF and the guy he says he trusts the most with his life is a black male. So personally you are going to have to drop any notions of politics, race, gender (although I don't think a woman has ever qualified). Everyone there is there because they proved themselves.

He he is out now, he won't really say why, just that shit didn't float, whatever that means. He misses it daily, and while his specific skill set has given him avenues in the security sector, it's his degree that has solidified his position.

if you do go through with it all, I wish you good luck. If you remember one thing, remember these 2 words. "MUIS HUIS" It will make sense if you make it through the STF training.
    Thanks dude I appreciate your input! I shall remember those words. That's the reason I want to join the unit, because alot of the best people are there in the unit because they worked hard. So what kind of degree would help me out in the STF? Thanks man!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    How would you be a valuable member without experience in normal policing or in life, given your youth? You would fail an interview with that position BTW.
    I'm going to do the 2 years bro, then I want to join the unit. What I meant was My goal is to join the STF, not the FFL, not the TRT not the SADF, not the Flying squad. These are all great units and such, but I want to join the STF. It's a dream of mine.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Plaashaas View Post
    So he left because it is still the respected STF that he misses daily?

Wake up! Everything is not what it use to be because we all have "rights" now. Call bullshit all you want, it doen't change the sad state of the STF
    Two woman qualified on a modified selection if i understand correctly. Both chose not to work on the teams. I have great respect for them. They can outperform me on every level.

Whoever told you that story is wrong or outright lying. It was most likely a TRT member or just a station level member hitching a lift to get to a scene.

Be carefull of making comments as to the state of Taskforce.

Dave, do it, whether it is FFL or STF or whatever else. If you are a warrior at heart don't suppress it. You will regret it for the rest of your life. You get professional soldiers like Col. Jan Breytenbach, he served with British SAS before setting up Recces and 32 here. It's quite irrelevant what unit it is, seek the best one, be clever here. A friend of mine who started law school with me, gave up law school mid way in our first term of our first year. He made the cut for the Airforce. He is with the Kuwait Air Force currently, fighter pilot instructor...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_haha View Post
    Thanks for your 2c man  but I want to join the STF only, nothing else.
    Hey man Dave, I reckon 99.9% of us on this form contemplated about joining the SAPS/SANDF (after 1994) at one time or another. When I was still 17 I honestly still believed for a short while I should join the SANDF or SAPS and try to become one of the special units, not just STF but the others as well.

However bud, trust me on this, I am still young and have gone through the same motions/thoughts you have not to long ago. However I do not believe that joining the SAPS is still a viable option for young South Africans (white/black/pink or purple, unless you have ballas of staal and really really really want to join them and settle with massive risk, the lowest of pay and no family time). My GF's cousin joined the SAPS in the Western Cape about +-7 years ago and he has been attacked by thugs while his "partner" locked herself in the car with her pistol and proceeded to cry and not help him... he spent a week in the hospital.

He is 29 now and can hardly afford a house and he has a child which he cannot fully support, luckily the "oupa" is rich and helps out a lot. He had to get a loan from his father in addition to the small bank loan. (Yes we all will get loans one time or another but for what you will do in the SAPS and what you will get paid for and how you will treated by 51 million people in your country, I just cannot urge you to join the SAPS...

How are your grades? Is your M-score above 30 and do you have maths? If so, please go to university, further educate yourself and re-evaluate your life in 3-5 years. It might seem wrong now, but think about the future, your live goals will change and each year after 18 (matric) you will know what you want to do with your life.

That was my honest 2c...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    If you join the Legion your most likely to be deployed to some Africa shit hole and you would be expendable. No loss to the French if you don't make it out alive.
    Or you walk out with a French Passport and some great job opportunities to pick from.
    In 2000 me and a mate made different choices on this exact same matter. He committed, I studied.

Judging by what I know today his choices was not bad , but then again neither was mine :)

Like everything else, it depends on what YOU make of it.

User

It's not for the STF it's for afterwardss, as usually STF isn't a life time job. He studied Geography and Business Management at Rau.

Cool ok thing is he met his current wife while in the STF. She's a chopper pilot in the Air Force.

http://www.sabreakingnews.co.za/2012...eaten-to-quit/

South Africa’s elite Special Task Force police unit is facing a crisis as many of its highly trained members threaten to quit. Members of the unit have, in an 11-page memorandum, accused police management of turning a blind eye to special pay allowances, allowing training by unqualified individuals and changing of unit standards…

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast