Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    User

Default Re: Joining SAPS Special Task Force. Advice and 2c please!

That report is a bit out of order though. The Taakies did not do that bad. On the day 1 tactical event they came in 27th. In the tower event (which they have no required specialty in )they came 28th iirc, and in the obstacle course they also got home in the mid twenties, beating out some stiff competition. Most of the events were won by the hosts, playing in their own backyard.

So they did not do so bad, especially considering that as mentioned, other teams have huge resources in training people specifically for this event, and also huge logistical support (guns, equipment, ammo development etc). And the equipment gap only gets bigger when you have to get it all to another country, and you suddenly have to deal with the very structures your brothers have been sabotaging for the last decade....I would not be surprised if CFR and Customs deliberately screwed them over thinking they were actual south african national team sport shooters. Perhaps the boys had to shoot with loaned guns, borrowed factory ammo, and wearing hand me down webbings.

They did allright.

User

Especially considering in quite a few events they beat some of the top US SWAT teams.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    True, but there are some serious concerns, even internally, about the lack of skilled and properly qualified operators.

https://www.enca.com/news/exclusive-...-not-qualified
    I can tell you that in the recent past they have had to borrow snipers from SF in order to fulfill taskings.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Frankly our guys are so popular in the Private Military Contractors market that it's surprising we have any left at all.

A Taakie takes years and years to train. We pay them peanuts so why should they stick around, except for blind loyalty?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I can tell you that in the recent past they have had to borrow snipers from SF in order to fulfill taskings.
    Yeah, this is because all the qualified Snipers have moved on to other pastures, and many of the new operators haven't filled that gap. Due to not being able to meet the course standards, or not wanting too.

I know around 8 years back on high risk protection details they would deploy their own Snipers, but in recent years SF has had to step up that role, even to the extent that there is now also a close protection presence of SF guys. A domain usually reserved for STF.

Does anyone know what Squad our STF guys came from in this event? PTA, Durban or Cape Town?

https://www.enca.com/news/saps-audit...-investigation

Special Task Force head Brigadier Jabulani Khumalo has reportedly stopped deploying members to the high-risk crime unit.

No-one knows why the decision to ground the entire unit was taken.

Even Police Minister Bheki Cele was shocked that such a directive was issued.

"I am not going to stand here and discuss individuals of SAPS, the crux of the

can anyone confirm if unit is still operational?
    are they accepting new recruits?
    seems to me as if their website was modified / updated in the past year ... has anyone else noticed a change?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8