Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Hunting firearm checklist

Hi gents.

I am busy prepping for my annual family kudu hunt, and while busy I thought I’d share what I prep firearm related for the hunt, and why. These days life is a “malle gejaag” and forgetting something could ruin the trip, so if I help even one young person I’d consider it a success.

The list :

1: Rifle, actually 2.
    Rifles don’t often break, but sometimes they do during the worst of times, so if you only have one then treat it nicely, but if you have many then one must always take a backup, don’t rely on your go-to rifle and hope nothing happens to it. We spend a lot of money on hunting weekends and using someone else’s rifle is not preferable. Last thing on rifles, make sure all the bits and pieces are attached before packing them, aka don’t be like the odd person who forgets a bolt or magazine box at home.

2: Rifle peripherals
    As you can see in the photo, the silencers and carry slings are apart. Now the reason they are apart is many people like myself don’t have the sling permanently attached, nor the silencer. Forgetting the sling means perhaps walking 20km with the rifle in hand, and forgetting the silencer means shooting the rifle in again.

3: Ammo
    I take at least 100 rounds per rifle, and considering that I am only planning on shooting one animal that sounds rof, I know. But consider the stuff that might happen, having to re-sight the rifle, having to re-sight after a silencer failure, etc etc. One cannot take enough ammo, only too little. Also I have ammo carrying pouches, beats carrying ammo in your pocket.

4: Cleaning equip
    I take the cleaning rod, not for cleaning but for clearing possible stuck cases(never happened). I use/take a pull through for normal cleaning, some cleaning patches, ballistol as a multi purpose cleaner and lubricant, and even brushes for each cal. Nobody is supposed to try and clean copper during a trip, so no copper solvent for me, if on your list fine.

5: Rifle maintenance tools
    I have a torx set, the tork set have bits that fit the torx screws which secures the action to the stock, in case of emergency repairs. Even while having a torx set which fits the scope screws, I take the torx tool for the scope as well, sometimes you just cant get into a space with a normal straight tool. Super glue, if something does go loose it won’t again, guaranteed. Now all people should have a tool case/bag in any case, that would supplement the rest of anything needed. I have a rifle stand, the stand allows for cleaning and supplement as a bench to confirm the rifle before the hunt, or if shooting in again after component failure, etc etc. Sand bags is preferable but not lekker to carry around.

6: Sight in tools
    A target stand(not in the picture), targets, tape, etc etc. Everything you need to confirm your rifle before the hunt, or when troubleshooting. Having targets already made up, a reliable stand and such beats scrambling around for boxes or other weird stuff to shoot at, some of the older more experienced folk will have a story or similar experience about that. Earmuffs, if something goes wrong with your silencer, or you don’t use a silencer, hunting deaf is not preferred, pack them in.

That’s just a quick list, if you take anything else firearm related please feel free to add.
    Last edited by Skaaphaas; 27-04-2015 at 21:29.

Default Re: Hunting firearm cheklist

This is a good one Messor.
    "Trespassers will be welcomed, and served a light lunch"

User

Good one M

User

Thanks, this is awesome.

User

Thank you.

Good advice.

Banned

Default Re: Hunting firearm checklist

Nothing beats experience. Thanks!

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Thank you.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Great post, thank you.

User

We've been given crap before shipping rifles with their bolts inserted (completely empty). Cops wanted to make big trouble. Therefore every rifle has it's own rifle bag as well as a small cloth bag that holds the bolt and magazine (where applicable). It gets put inside the carry bag next to the rifle. What does the FCA say about this? Can't see any mentioning of it in the FCA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast