Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Revolver

Default Revolver

I was recently granted a self-defense license for a .38 special revolver. Within the first week, I bought ammo and fired away a month's salary at the local range. fighting0035

I am very interested in either SAPSA or SADPA. However, I live in Bloem and I don't think there is a SADPA club in the Free State.

So that leaves SAPSA. Is there a revolver category for SAPSA? Will I be allowed to use a self-defense revolver for practical shooting?

I want to buy a pistol, but I can't buy another handgun unless I join a SAPSA club....and I can't join a SAPSA club without a handgun....

can anyone possibly enlighten me on this?

And if I am able to overcome the abovementioned obstacle, what handgun is recommended for SAPSA? (I just love a Glock 19 BTW)

Default Re: Revolver

There is a IPSC club in Bloem but unfortunately IPSC in SA (SAPSA) does not cater for the revolver division. However at the last SAPSA national that was held in Welkom, I shared the detail with a bloke shooting his revolver. I think he was slotted into Standard Gun Division. So it does not stop you from joining and competing. The only thing is that you will not be competetive but you can join and participate.

Unfortunately IDPA has not been verry sucessfull in the Free State. I know there are people that are interested in IDPA in Bloem (some of the IPSC guy's are interested) but there need to be a person (local in Bloem) driving the issue and this is not happening.

Is the revolver your only gun?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Also I do not agree with your statement regarding that you can't buy another handgun at this point in time. In theory you should be able to one for SD and another for 'Occasional Sport Shooting'. Becoming a member of a club will not immediately give you dedicated status and it will take a bit of time so if you join and immediately want to buy, you would not be able to go the dedicated route either (immediate) but this would ease the route for Occasional Sport Shooting.

Thanks, Corne. So if I join, I'll at least be able to compete and have occassional sportperson status so that I can apply for someting else?

SSP, yes, the revolver is my only gun. 5-shot Taurus snubbie...not the best gun for sport shooting, is it?

If its your only gun then there is no reason why you cant have another for occasional sport shooting. BTW it's not a status like dedicated.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

hvd,

As SSP said, it is not a status (Occational) but I do believe being a member of a club would aid in that motivation.

Yes, you can but beware a 5-shot Taurus Snubbie is not going to be the most comfortable thing to go and shoot and do not shoot hot loads and be prepared to be very frustrated. But if you are serious and committed, it can be a door into a great experince. Do you have the contact details of the Bloem IPSC club? If not, let me know and I will PM you contact details.

Thank you! Much appreciated!

I would appreciate the contact info, Corne.

PM sent...

Got it. Thanks!

What pistols do you guys use in IPSC?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast