Default Anyone have a Blaser R8 Professional Success?

I know the Blaser's are damn expensive, but I fell in love this weekend at Huntex!!

I'd like to get some feedback from anyone that owns a Blaser R8 Professional Success / Leather / Black / Ruthenium or that have shot with it before.

Some photos would also be nice. :-)

Riaan

User

Default Re: Anyone have a Blaser R8 Professional Success?

The R8 has the collets that grip the case-head, right? Very fine toleranced mechanism that. I've recently heard anecdotal accounts of one refusing to close properly in the Kalahari, after getting some sand in the action.

User

Spectacular rifles ...

If you're in love and you have the dough to date that supermodel then I say do it ...

They are stunning and one day I'll buy myself one in 3006 ... but sadly not today.

Banned

I have fondled them at Huntex two years ago and got invited by their chief salesman to their open day. The accuracy wasn't much to speak about but that was entirely my doing. They are lovely, sleek and very fast. However, just have a look at their doubles before buying a "regular" Blaser and get a Blaser technician to explain it all to you - they are even better!

The one thing I am worried about is headspacing problems, simply because the bolt does not lock on the front. My father's Sauer 80 gave him endless troubles because of the bolt locking at the back.

User

My brother owns upwards of 10 hunting rifles. Nice rifles including a CZ 375 H&H, a classic 404, a 270 Win from Sako, Mauser 8x57 etc. He recently bought a Blaser in 300 Win Mag for a hunting trip to Greenland (yes, he did that, yes I'm envious, no I don't have as much money). He has since ordered more barrels for the Blaser saying it is so good he may leave his other rifles to collect dust in the safe. I've been offered his 375 H&H (which was his go-to workhorse) in exchange for buying a Blaser barrel in the same calibre.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    My brother owns upwards of 10 hunting rifles. Nice rifles including a CZ 375 H&H, a classic 404, a 270 Win from Sako, Mauser 8x57 etc. He recently bought a Blaser in 300 Win Mag for a hunting trip to Greenland (yes, he did that, yes I'm envious, no I don't have as much money). He has since ordered more barrels for the Blaser saying it is so good he may leave his other rifles to collect dust in the safe. I've been offered his 375 H&H (which was his go-to workhorse) in exchange for buying a Blaser barrel in the same calibre.
    What a deal boet so are you going to buy the barrel? What does a blaser barrel cost these days?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    . I've been offered his 375 H&H (which was his go-to workhorse) in exchange for buying a Blaser barrel in the same calibre.
    He drives a hard bargain... Huntex had 375's for R11,5K on offer (Brownings or CZ 550's if I recall correctly)

I have a friend who bought a R8 in 3006 last year on Huntex. In a nice case and all. He has shot it guess how many times - twice. 20 rounds. Safe queen in the making. "it's an investment".

That said it is a beautiful rifle, I am envious. really envious. But for that amount of $ you can buy 3 /4 "other" rifles.

User

I'm toying with his offer. That said, my two existing hunting rifles don't get out very often since I've taken up SADPA. So there's this "need vs want" thing. Also, my wife is trying to convince me to keep my P30 which means I'll have to find money for a G19 elsewhere.

Still, who doesn't want a 375?

User

I shot two Blaser R93s every Sunday for the last four months. I believe the R8's action is a bit bigger and it includes a removable magazine.

I liked the short stocky rifle. It points quite naturally and made shooting at moving targets a lot easier. I got decent accuracy out of it but like any gun it is just as accurate th monkey pulling the trigger. I quite liked the saftey mechanism and the straight pull action is smooth as silk and super fast.

I can however be convinced that it is not as forgiving as for instance a Mauser K98 design when it comes to dirt and sand in the action. That being said, I don't think that should be a problem for the avg hunter.

Will I buy one? Not a chance. My preferences lie with the Mauser M03. :-)

User

That M03 is a thing of beauty. I got goosbumps when I felt how ridiculously smooth that action is