Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: SAAF in South Korea

I have the original log books from 1 of these pilots. He flew 75 combat sorties in about 3 months, sometimes logging 3 in one day. Being a very conscientious sort he kept score of everything he did and ends off his tour in Korea with the following tally:
    66 Napalm bombs dropped
    34,000 pounds of bombs dropped
    264 rockets fired
    103 KIA's

I believe that in order to claim a KIA, it had to be verified by another pilot flying support, so it stands to reason that the actual number could be much higher as it must have been extremely difficult to verify in actual combat situations, especially when flying what they euphemistically called "close support"

As with all war, only the actual participants will ever truly know the extent and reality of what really happened on the day, the books while being great are only a one dimensional view.

User

I would imagine the '103 KIAs' refers to bodies rather than aircraft and would be gleaned from body counts done by ground forces.

Yep, the KIA's would all be ground personnel. There were less than a handful of recorded instances where SA pilots engaged North Korean / Chinese / Russian flow migs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Thanks JS4! I recently looked for pictures of the monument, but could only find old, low-res ones on the web.

Interestingly also, from

The Commanding Officer of the 18th Fighter-Bomber Wing, issued a directive at the end of the war that:[7]
    In memory of our gallant South African comrades, it is hereby established, as a new policy that at all Retreat Ceremonies held by this Wing, the playing of our National Anthem shall be preceded by playing the introductory bars of the South African National Anthem, 'Die Stem van Suid-Afrika'. All personnel of this Wing will render the same honours to this Anthem as our own.
    I have it on good authority that this tradition is sadly no longer observed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3