Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Delays at criminal records -- possible solution?

Hi,

one of the (many) delays in the licenseing process is a criminal record check which can take anything from a few weeks to six months or longer.

I have heard that a criminal record check results are only valid for six months, so if a query is made on your record and the last results are older than six months the whole process must be re-run.

This had made me think. I know of guys who are emigrating or going to work overseas and they have required a "police clearance" which as far as I understand is a criminal record check.

Surely these clearances do not take six months to receive? Perhaps these have some form of precedence over checks for firearms licensing?

Anyway, my idea is to go and get a police clearance certificate (which may take a few weeks) and then attach that to a new license application along with other supporting documentation.

Even if they do no accept this as legitimate proof at CFR (which they probably will not) at least that portion of the licensing process should go faster as your record is "fresh".

One final thing. It is really FARKED UP that one has to think of such contrived means of working around a system that does NOT WORK.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Takes a maximum of two working days. The whole 'delayed at CRC' thing is just a dishonest strategem to delay the process for a seemingly good reason.

The FCA is working EXACTLY as intended!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

I've also heard of this and will be doing the same for my new apps!

User

Fingerprints are no longer required for new licence applications.
    They need fingerprints for the Competency, so if you have Competency, you are clean.
    This should speed up the licencing process in theory
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Fingerprints are no longer required for new licence applications.
    They need fingerprints for the Competency, so if you have Competency, you are clean.
    This should speed up the licencing process in theory
    This just shows you how disorganised and ignorant they are. What you are saying makes complete sense and is what I thought as well, but I had to have prints taken and attached to my new application in December and I have competency already!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Takes a maximum of two working days. The whole 'delayed at CRC' thing is just a dishonest strategem to delay the process for a seemingly good reason.

The FCA is working EXACTLY as intended!

Precisely sir!

I suspect that if you attach a copy of a criminal record check they will just tear it off and throw it in the bin. It does not comply with their self-made "laws"

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
    Precisely sir!

I suspect that if you attach a copy of a criminal record check they will just tear it off and throw it in the bin. It does not comply with their self-made "laws"
    Dave, that is EXACTLY the case.

The system was not set up to make it easy for us to apply for licenses!

The Government has been declaring since forever that it intends to remove firearms from private hands. They are just implementing that policy under the guise of licensing.

Why does nobody understand this? (Damn! Now I'm channeling Crimefree...)
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    The Government has been declaring since forever that it intends to remove firearms from private hands. They are just implementing that policy under the guise of licensing.
    Why does nobody understand this? (Damn! Now I'm channeling Crimefree...)
    I was at CFR yesterday. Their mission statement, on the wall, is to stop the proliferation of firearms. Not illegal firearms, just firearms. The only way they could make this any clearer is to say "We want to take away your firearms".

BTW There's also a nice big letter from the director saying that "No competency certificates or licences may be collected from CFR". Just in case anyone comes up with any more ways to speed up the process.

User

Quote Originally Posted by umshiniwam View Post
    This just shows you how disorganised and ignorant they are. What you are saying makes complete sense and is what I thought as well, but I had to have prints taken and attached to my new application in December and I have competency already!
    I did a licence of my new 416 in January and no fingerprints needed.
    Must be a new years resolution.....

A friend of mine has a small "security division" attached to his company.
    The responsible person at the company had to do the licences for the 18 firearms they have.
    18 licences = 36 sets of fingerprints!!! He spent the whole afternoon just doing fingerprints!
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Angry

I agree with Paul that CRC should not take more than 48 hours. The company I work for do record clearances for all potential and current staff. Our record clearance process is quite extensive and covers criminal record checks, credit record checks, previous employer checks, reference checks and qualifications verification. Our whole record clearance process is subject to a 48 hour SLA and reports are normally issued withing 24 hours.

We do submit fingerprints electronically via AFIS fingerprint scanners through a third party to the CRC and normally get reports back within 24 hours.

I agree that if I did the CRC myself and added the certificate to my application it would probably just be removed and put through the 6 month process.

I also think the CRC delays excuse is just another delaying tactic by the CFR to discourage citizens from owning firearms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast