Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Republic arms shotties

What are peoples opinions on Republic Arms shotguns ito reliability, part availability, shootability, etc? Ive got my eye on a folding stock short barrel RA pump action for around R3000.

This model is just the folding stock version of the RA shottie that Geoff has in his shop for those that have seen it.

Total length with stock folded looks a bit shorter than a LM6. I am not sure of magazine capacity but think it might only be 4-5 rounds.

I would license it on dedicated sport status for IDPA 3-gun and would also want to use it for home defense.

I know very little about shotties so would appreciate some opinions and inputs on these shotguns. I understand that RA still manufactures these shotguns and they are used by the SAPS so parts should not be a problem and they appear to be quite reliable.

Your thoughts????

Thanx
    Rudi

User

The Republic Arms shotguns are not bad quality, but the gun's operation can be a bit confusing if you are not very familliar with it. The Republic Arms shotguns are based on the old Beretta pump action gun's that were issued to the SAP, the same model were also manufactured in earlier years by Musgrave as the Musler.
    The short folding stock RA shotguns have a 4shot capacity, thus I would not realy recommend it for three gun shoots and the operation of the gun also creates a bit of handicap at times.
    As for home defense, not a bad gun either but IMHO I would prefer a bigger capacity gun. Spares for the RA guns shouldn't be much of a issue, cause they are manufactured locally and used by the SAPS.

IMHO I would rather try and obtain a Remington 870, Mossberg Mod 500 or 590 or a Winchester 1300. Both the Remington as well as the Mossberg Mod 590 is milspec guns that can handle quite a bit of abuse. Spares for the above mentioned guns are also not much of a issue and accessories are in abundance.

Default Re: Republic arms shotties

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes View Post
    What are peoples opinions on Republic Arms shotguns ito reliability, part availability, shootability, etc? Ive got my eye on a folding stock short barrel RA pump action for around R3000.

This model is just the folding stock version of the RA shottie that Geoff has in his shop for those that have seen it.

Total length with stock folded looks a bit shorter than a LM6. I am not sure of magazine capacity but think it might only be 4-5 rounds.

I would license it on dedicated sport status for IDPA 3-gun and would also want to use it for home defense.

I know very little about shotties so would appreciate some opinions and inputs on these shotguns. I understand that RA still manufactures these shotguns and they are used by the SAPS so parts should not be a problem and they appear to be quite reliable.

Your thoughts????

Thanx
    Rudi

Thanks will read up on CBC and Republic Arms as I am not familiar with them

User

From my side: I have shot a side folder sg once and it wasn't a pleasure. There was one guy shooting 3GunSa with us years ago who had a side folding sg and a under folding Mini14 and we could clearly see that it wasn't that much fun for him. If it doesn't fit you it takes the fun out of sg shooting very fast.
    I own a defender 1300 with a mag tube extension to take its capacity to 9+1 which is perfect (for me) for Ipsc shooting. It will be nice to have Super Nova but at 4× the price it is not yet on my shopping list.

User

As above, operating the SG (if it has the bolt release just below the ejection port) leaves much to be desired.

User

Quote Originally Posted by G33 View Post
    As above, operating the SG (if it has the bolt release just below the ejection port) leaves much to be desired.
    This ^^^ They are a PITA. You have to look and concentrate to load it. Why exactly they put a button in there that prevents you from getting it running is beyond my comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    From my side: I have shot a side folder sg once and it wasn't a pleasure. There was one guy shooting 3GunSa with us years ago who had a side folding sg and a under folding Mini14 and we could clearly see that it wasn't that much fun for him. ...
    Folding stocks on shotguns are generally another big pain in the ... in the face. They hurt your face. The only folding stock that I have enjoyed shooting was one made by ATI.

They are no different to load than any other pump. Load mag pump, press trigger, go bang. Rinse and repeat. You never need to touch the bolt release. Strange that the AK is criticised for not having a bolt hold open device and the AR praised yet when Beretta puts it on a pump it causes confusion. If people with zero gun experience can learn to use it whilst rolling in dust and dirt that sais something. They are damm good guns.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    They are no different to load than any other pump. Load mag pump, press trigger, go bang. Rinse and repeat. You never need to touch the bolt release. Strange that the AK is criticised for not having a bolt hold open device and the AR praised yet when Beretta puts it on a pump it causes confusion. If people with zero gun experience can learn to use it whilst rolling in dust and dirt that sais something. They are damm good guns.
    I've seen and I have fumbled with the bolt release during emergency reloads... no amount of training will nullify the fact that the design is clumsy.

I don't get your AK comparison, are you saying that you'd be just as fast reloading an AK as an AR?

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    The manual of arms is different to most pumps.

You load the mag and either pull the trigger, which is bad practice, or press the tiny shell release on the bottom of the lifter to release a shell onto the lifter and release the bolt, then you pump and load as usual.

You do have to hit the bolt release if you run empty and want to load the mag, or drop a round into the chamber.

The biggest weakness of the bolt release is if you press it when the bolt is forward and the mag is loaded, and you aren't holding up the lifter.

That said, I would take one all day long over a Norinco.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I've also noticed that the bolt release hole tends to oval out (maybe we can blame high use or mild abuse that I've witnessed my sample size go through) making the bolt release hang. This has the wonderful effect of making the realse a joy to use when intended and or a lead to double feeds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast