Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: S&W .380 versus S&W 340 PD

I was hoping you'd chime in. You would probably be right on the 38 spl and the flame cutting issue. It is, indeed, a lot to handle with a nice hot 158gr cartridge in it. I found that with a bit of practice I could though bang off the cylinder reasonably quickly and still put them centre of mass around 5m. Reloading though is a bit of a dog's breakfast. The cases can be a stiff to get out and because the cylinder crane is quite short, the grip interferes with a speedloader. So its speed strip or nothing. I've never tried to handle a speed strip under real stress but I reckon its easy to screw up and to drop cartridges. I'd prefer the 340PD up real close I think but the 380 probably makes more sense albeit at less delivery energy (will chrono for sometime).

What's your preference in 380 then?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

You know what the definition of an optimist is?

A dude with a Snubby and a speed strip:)

A trick with the speed strip , only load four rounds, With a big gap between them. You will likely find the last round takes longer to load than the first four.

I have found the G42 very shootable , and no not just because of where I work, its a 380 I can get good hits with, substantially better than I can with my steel frame snubby, which is what made me reevalute in the first place.

User

WZ, since we're talking Smiths "exclusively", (and admitting to introducing a tangentiality): how much taller is the Shield than the 357 J-frame? The Shield definitely isn't a pocket-sized gun, from your and Edwill's accounts its far easier to shoot then either of your two options, with "better" terminal expectations than the first one and "comparable" to the second one (assuming a single hit...) whilst probably giving better hit probability than both.

:- P

User

If pocket carry wasn't a requirement, which I assume it is here, a Shield would be a great choice. But its not really a pocket gun IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    You know what the definition of an optimist is?

A dude with a Snubby and a speed strip:)

A trick with the speed strip , only load four rounds, With a big gap between them. You will likely find the last round takes longer to load than the first four.

I have found the G42 very shootable , and no not just because of where I work, its a 380 I can get good hits with, substantially better than I can with my steel frame snubby, which is what made me reevalute in the first place.
    On the speed strip, there is no doubt that the idea is "four is more" in the sense that it is quicker. I think one would have to practice a lot and also take the philosophy that it is better to load two or three and get back into action than to wait for a full cylinder.

In my experience the Bodyguard .380 is easier to handle than the snubbie. But it is also double action only whereas I think in that regard the G42 has the advantage.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    WZ, since we're talking Smiths "exclusively", (and admitting to introducing a tangentiality): how much taller is the Shield than the 357 J-frame? The Shield definitely isn't a pocket-sized gun, from your and Edwill's accounts its far easier to shoot then either of your two options, with "better" terminal expectations than the first one and "comparable" to the second one (assuming a single hit...) whilst probably giving better hit probability than both.

:- P
    Both the Bodyguard and the .357 J frame are true "pocket guns". I do not find much difference in carry-ability at all but the revolver does print more obviously than the pistol does. It is also less noticeable in the pocket when sitting around and so forth. The .357 J frame is very much the same size as the Chiefs Special – it is lighter but the overall dimensions are, working from memory, practically identical other than for the shroud.

It is a difficult choice as to choose which one is better. When you are right up against somebody the .357 J frame is undoubtedly the tool of choice. But it does have its potential downsides as already discussed. The other thing is that you need to be exceptionally careful with your choice of ammunition if you are going to go with .357 cartridges as you can get bullet jump, which quickly turns it into nothing more than a very light, small and useless hammer. I have not experienced the problem with high-quality current production ammunition like Hornady or even Magtech but I have experienced it with some old Sako ammunition which I inherited.

In short, I like the "punch" of the 340 PD and my sense is, just from shooting the two firearms that, regardless of what anyone else says, there is a heck of a lot more delivery energy in the .357 cartridge, even out of such a short barrel. Of course, you can also fire it from within a jacket pocket if your hand was in your pocket and the murderous assailant was right up against you; that would almost certainly take him by surprise. In most other respects however, the Bodyguard .380 would be preferred.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

If pocket carry wasn't a requirement, which I assume it is here, a Shield would be a great choice. But its not really a pocket gun IMHO.
    I concur. That was my conclusion as well after having checked it out.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

I agree, the Shield is def not a pocket gun. I alwys felt "undergunned" with the BG380, however was nice to be able to throw it in the pocket for certain situations. I found shield much easier to carry than my G23 and M&P40, and almost dont know its there with the sticky holster. From time to time in Winter its possible to get the shield with a trigger guard holster into a jacket pocket and even a suit/jacket inside pocket. I have never carried a small revolver. I have a friend who comefortably carries his shield on the ankle, this was a non option for me! I am keen to look at the G42/43

Quote Originally Posted by Edwill View Post
    I always felt "undergunned" with the BG380
    That is because you are in fact are.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

If a good +P 38 can penetrate 12 inches in the gel tests why move to something much less controllable. Much less.
    I am often BigT's "optimist" but will be getting the BG380 licensed soon.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast