Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Need torch with long reach - Elzeta or Nitecor?

The backwall of my property is about 35 meters from the house and I need a bright enough torch to 'reach' down there. This will not be an EDC torch but needs to be compact enough to wear around the house.

I must be honest I find the range of torches and battery options very confusing. Would you guys go for an Elzeta, Nitecor or something else.

User

Default Re: Need torch with long reach - Elzeta or Nitecor?

Nitecore Baby Monster.

Which batteries does that take G-Force and do you recommend standard or rechargeable?

User

The Nitecore MT40 is a beast for distance.
    http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mt40

That said, it's not something you want to shine at a white wall at 5m, you will likely flash-blind yourself.

A friend of mine has one and uses it when he needs to punch some distance. Afaik you are able to dim it to suit your needs.

Most Nitecore torches take 18650's (rechargable) but can also take CR123's, but 99% of users will use 18650's.

I upgraded all mine from the standard 2x00 (iirc 2300?) to 3300mAh, so I get a decent 2h of 100% use from it.

Thanks Knoffel.

Didn't realise the prices were so high. Figured I'd be spending between R1500 - 2500.

Edit...I see it is under R2k The Tiny Monster is up near R6k if I'm looking at the right thing.

User

Look at the Nitecore torch in the banner on the right. Currently their special. Send Celesti a PM to ask about it. 1,000 lumens is enough if the spot is OK. My new Fenix is 960 Lumens and lights up our back yard with ease (go check pics in my review of the PD35).

User

The Elzettas and Nitecores are not comparable.

if you just need light you can buy a Nitecore or Fenix etc.

The Elzetta is a modular light that you can modify as you need with different body, different tailcap switches, different lenses etc. They are tougher than any of the chinese lights but you may not need that.

We will in future offer extra bored bodies for the Bravo to enable the use of 18650 batteries.

User

You want a flashlight with a lot of throw, as opposed to flood. Generally, flashlight beams are composed of a spot with spill surrounding it. Throwy flashlights focus more light into the spot, where floody flashlights spread their output more evenly. This is mainly determined by the reflector/lens, and some flashlights are designed so that the lens can be moved between flood and throw, although the results might not be great (My LED Lenser headlamp can do it, for example, but the throw isn't particularly effective). The other factor to consider is how much light is being emitted in the first place - a 1 lumen throwy flashlight won't beat a 1000 lumen floody flashlight. For some flashlights, you can also get diffuser attachments to make a thrower more floody (There was a thread recently with a video on Elzetta's diffuser), but I've yet to see an attachment that does it the other way around.

The ANSI FL1 standard covers beam throw distance, computed to be the distance at which the brightest part of the flashlight's beam can illuminate the subject to roughly the intensity of moonlight. Of course, that doesn't mean you'll be able to see it, but it does give a somewhat uniform comparison point. All of Nitecore's flashlights have FL1 data, so you can use that as a starting point to compare various options.

Good info guys. Thank you.

Look at the Nitecore SRT 7. The deep reflector ensures great throw length 305 meters with a good balalnce between spot ans spill. The SRT 7 is within your price range, it totally adjustable in terms of output. The spot (features a nice hot spot in the middle of the light while still providing enough spill to light up your back yard. I regard these as great torches!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast