Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default What to expect from a Firearm Training Facility

I would like to know what service one should receive at a Training Facility. Is it only tests or should they do some actual training as well?

I've recently gone to do my competency training for handgun (as well as the legal test). Upon arrival I had to hand in my open book tests, which I completed at home, which they marked while I was watching. After this it was straight to the closed book tests (with barely 2 sentences spoken between myself and the officials). After writing and the same procedure for marking the tests, I was told to go to the range for the Assessment Shoot.

Once there the official explained to me which skills I should perform, which I did while laughing off the official's comments while I'm familiarizing myself with the pistol (I'm only used to Glocks and Smith & Wesson so far, so the older CZ was something I had to figure out first). Immediately after this, I was told to load the gun and do the 10 round qualifying shoot. I asked if I could at least get one or two shots practice as I was totally unfamiliar with the gun, to which the response was "No". This just added more stress, but I decided to just get on with it and focus on what I've learnt (from my friends). While shooting I got a few more comments from the official, which added some more stress, but more irritation with the situation. Luckily I qualified with what I would say is a good grouping in the center of the target .

To my surprise, after the shoot, I was asked to pay for the ammunition I've just used - this was never communicated to me when I went to pay for the course, and seeing as the cost is rather high, I thought the ammunition for the qualifying rounds will at least be included in the cost...

I'm slightly confused about my experience and I don't think that someone who hasn't had the privileges I had with friends showing me the ropes will be able to just pick up the gun and do everything that's required.

User

Default Re: What to expect from a Firearm Training Facility

Quote Originally Posted by TinyStrawberry View Post
    I would like to know what service one should receive at a Training Facility. Is it only tests or should they do some actual training as well?

I've recently gone to do my competency training for handgun (as well as the legal test). Upon arrival I had to hand in my open book tests, which I completed at home, which they marked while I was watching. After this it was straight to the closed book tests (with barely 2 sentences spoken between myself and the officials). After writing and the same procedure for marking the tests, I was told to go to the range for the Assessment Shoot.

Once there the official explained to me which skills I should perform, which I did while laughing off the official's comments while I'm familiarizing myself with the pistol (I'm only used to Glocks and Smith & Wesson so far, so the older CZ was something I had to figure out first). Immediately after this, I was told to load the gun and do the 10 round qualifying shoot. I asked if I could at least get one or two shots practice as I was totally unfamiliar with the gun, to which the response was "No". This just added more stress, but I decided to just get on with it and focus on what I've learnt (from my friends). While shooting I got a few more comments from the official, which added some more stress, but more irritation with the situation. Luckily I qualified with what I would say is a good grouping in the center of the target .

To my surprise, after the shoot, I was asked to pay for the ammunition I've just used - this was never communicated to me when I went to pay for the course, and seeing as the cost is rather high, I thought the ammunition for the qualifying rounds will at least be included in the cost...

I'm slightly confused about my experience and I don't think that someone who hasn't had the privileges I had with friends showing me the ropes will be able to just pick up the gun and do everything that's required.
    Complete opposite of my experience, and I mean, complete opposite!

If I didn't have to, I wouldn't go back if I were you.

User

http://www.pftc.co.za/

Please inform them of the details.

User

You've been had. I've sent many buddies to the same place to get their competency done and I've yet to hear anything remotely related to your situation.

Like T said inform pftc.

User

I did my competency with Dave Sheer.
    It was very thorough. Went through all the legal work and discussed it and situations when it's proper to use a firearm.
    The handgun (and other firearms training) was good as well for a basics class. Shown how to grip and handle the firearm, operate the catches etc.
    Went to the range and could have a few practice shots with each firearm I trained for, after which the qualification was shot.
    Very thorough in my opinion.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    You've been had. I've sent many buddies to the same place to get their competency done and I've yet to hear anything remotely related to your situation.

Like T said inform pftc.
    To the same place and your buddies had a different experience ?
    I don't see a facility being mentioned.

User

Very, VERY dodgy .....

User

Yeah there's something wrong with that. When I did mine I had to shoot with a really, really crappy subcompact 9mmP with skew sights and the instructor allowed me to shoot with a different weapon upon request. The shotgun I used was an old, heavy S/S that shot the blocks to hell and back, all while everybody was chirping and joking with each other. Was an awesome experience.

User

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkaan View Post
    To the same place and your buddies had a different experience ?
    I don't see a facility being mentioned.
    Sorry. I worded that very poorly. I meant I've sent all of them to one place.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TinyStrawberry View Post

I had a similar experience at the place I did my competencies at, back when. Except my ammo was already included. I suspect the place you did yours at might just be the same place I went to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast